VMware Cloud Community
justinbennett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSAN Best Practices and Use Cases

Would love to hear or find a white paper related for when vSAN should be considered and when a traditional SAN would be recommended.

Found an event last fall where this may have been highlighted at vmworld 2014 -  STO2521 - Virtual SAN Best Practices and Use Cases, but don't have any further information.

Could someone help fill me in or guide me toward this information?

I've already combed over the Virtual SAN Architecture documents on the developercenter.vmware.com as well.

Thank you,

Justin

2 Replies
justinbennett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Forgot to add, is there any consideration of use of vSAN in a Stretched Cluster design? We are currently looking at utilizing vSAN in a Stretched Cluster and Split Site design and want to fully understand it's capabilities before hitting a landmine.

Thank you and forgive me for my ignorance.

-Justin

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

justinbennett wrote:

Forgot to add, is there any consideration of use of vSAN in a Stretched Cluster design? We are currently looking at utilizing vSAN in a Stretched Cluster and Split Site design and want to fully understand it's capabilities before hitting a landmine.

Thank you and forgive me for my ignorance.

-Justin

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2013/10/31/vsphere-metro-storage-cluster-using-virtual-san-can/