VMware Horizon Community
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon View 3.2.0 Client on Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit

Hi,

I have had a lot of trouble getting the Horizon View 3.2.0 Client working on my freshly installed Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit.

Seams like VMware has very limited support for Horizon View client on Ubuntu when it comes to 64 bit, and to be honest I find that VERY DISAPOINTING. COME ON.. WHO USES 32 bit anymore!

I finally that decided to publish a generic client for Linux on the website, so that is a good thing.

Just to be absolutely clear I used this package: https://download3.vmware.com/software/view/viewclients/CART14Q4/VMware-Horizon-Client-3.2.0-2331566....

I installed that package using these commands in the catalog I downloaded the package to.

sudo chmod +x VMware-Horizon-Client-3.2.0-2331566.x86.bundle

sudo ./VMware-Horizon-Client-3.2.0-2331566.x86.bundle

I enabled everything in the wizard, and at the end of the installation you are able to scan for missing dependencies. Turns out that there are a lot when you are running 64 bit.

After a lot of work and realizing that google for once was no help what so ever, I found that the following worked.

Run all the following commands as root.

dpkg --add-architecture i386

apt-get update

apt-get install libxml2:i386

apt-get install libssl1.0.0:i386

apt-get install libXtst6:i386

apt-get install libudev1:i386

apt-get install libpcsclite1:i386

apt-get install libtheora0:i386

apt-get install libv4l-0:i386

apt-get install libpulse0:i386

ln -sf /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0

ln -sf /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.1

ln -sf /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1

After this my scan reported no errors, and I was able to start the Horizon View Client. There was no icon for it so I ran the command vmware-view from the command line, and then locked the icon to that task bar.

I got one error when starting the client, that my ssl lib was old, but according to Ubuntu it is patched, so it does not need to be version 1.0.0i.

I am not certain that all features work. I have a nasty feeling that USB redirection will not work, since I have never gotten that to work on Ubuntu 64 bit, but you can test that for yourself.

I hope this helps someone, and I wish VMware would have done this work for us. I suppose that this is more or less the same to get it working on Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit.

Best Regards

Brian Knutsson

ATEA A/S

14 Replies
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To get RDP working you have to install the freerdp-x11 package.

Command:

sudo apt-get install freerdp-x11

bdmayes
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much!  This got me started in the right direction on 64-bit 14.04.1 (work laptop -- running the LTS there), though ultimately I had to install a few other packages and also modify the symbolic link to libcrypto.so.1.0.1 rather than simply libcrypto.so.1

In case anyone else runs into this same problem, here are the additional packages I had to install and the one modification for the symbolic link.  Otherwise, follow the steps above:

sudo apt-get install libatk1.0-0:i386
sudo apt-get install libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:i386
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386
sudo apt-get install libxss1:i386

sudo ln -sf /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.1

kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks bdmayes to summarize with additional inputs.

I have seen similar issues discussed in the community, worth sharing / bookmark this discussion.

0 Kudos
camne
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into a few additional glitches, but I'm using Trisquel which is a modified version of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.    Here's the quick & dirty install script I wrote...

#

#  Add Ubuntu's repository, if needed

#    i.e. if you're using Trisquel instead of Ubuntu

#    Trisquel 7.0 = FSF modified Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

#    https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/belenos

#

#echo "deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty universe multiverse" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

#apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 3B4FE6ACC0B21F32

#apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 40976EAF437D05B5

#

#  Add support for 32-bit applications

#

dpkg --add-architecture i386

apt-get update

apt-get install libxml2:i386 libssl1.0.0:i386 libXtst6:i386 libudev1:i386 libpcsclite1:i386 libtheora0:i386 libv4l-0:i386 libpulse0:i386 freerdp-x11 libatk1.0-0:i386 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libxss1:i386 lib32stdc++6 lib32z1 lib32z1-dev

#

#  Fix some dependencies

#

ln -sf /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0

ln -sf /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.1

ln -sf /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.1

#

#  Install VMware Client

#

wget https://download3.vmware.com/software/view/viewclients/CART14Q4/VMware-Horizon-Client-3.2.0-2331566....

chmod +x VMware-Horizon-Client-3.2.0-2331566.x86.bundle

./VMware-Horizon-Client-3.2.0-2331566.x86.bundle

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I am not certain that all features work. I have a nasty feeling that USB redirection will not work, since I have never gotten that to work on Ubuntu 64 bit

Hi

A few days ago I made a Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS 32bit LiveCD that has working USB-redirection - well if a USB-flash drive connected to a Workstation VM counts. The stick appeared in the Windows-Desktop without any extra work required on the LiveCD.
Disconnecting/ reconnecting similar devices worked flawless.
I have not tested the SmartCard features yet - simply because I dont have a test-environment.
I have a 64bit based LiveCD scheduled next week - guess then I will be also able to provide instructions for USB-redirection.

The LiveCD boots - tests if network is up and if necessary loads a Wifi-connection , the WiFI settings can be stored in a persistence container if required.
When network is up it connects to a preconfigured broker with a preconfigured commandline. Cerificates can also be used.
When the session is finished the LiveCD reboots. I customise such mini Linuxclients when customers ask for a way to make sure their remote-workers dont use a virus-polluted environment to start their remote View-Desktops.
This LiveCDs can be used from CD,USB-stick,harddisk or sd-cards, use icewm as windowmanager so that I could remove all unwanted ways to interact with the LiveCD itself. If the users breaks out of the View-session the system reboots.

Previous versions of this LiveCDs were all 64bit based to allow booting on recent hardware - optional with EFI-firmware,
As this is the first public download with USB-redirection -  USB-features were on top of the wishlist so I started with a 32bit version to get an environment close to the one that was used to create the Ubuntu-package.
In the LiveCD I simply start vmware-usbarbitrator and vmware-view-usbd from /etc/rc.local - on a regular system it probably requires more work to start those services nicely.
The LiveCD is not yet ripped to the bare essentials - but with 500MB it is small enough to load it into RAM on many old notebooks.

I will update this post if I have the 64bit CDs ready.

Sorry - cant offer downloads - dont want to receive mail from VMware lawyers - all I can safely offer is to customize one for you during a remote "consulting" session.
If anybody knows a legal way to prepare such CDs as a public download that will not end with "Ulli in jail" please let me know.

Ulli

vantonov
Contributor
Contributor

The LiveCD boots - tests if network is up and if necessary loads a Wifi-connection , the WiFI settings can be stored in a persistence container if required.

When network is up it connects to a preconfigured broker with a preconfigured commandline. Cerificates can also be used.

When the session is finished the LiveCD reboots. I customise such mini Linuxclients when customers ask for a way to make sure their remote-workers dont use a virus-polluted environment to start their remote View-Desktops.

This LiveCDs can be used from CD,USB-stick,harddisk or sd-cards, use icewm as windowmanager so that I could remove all unwanted ways to interact with the LiveCD itself. If the users breaks out of the View-session the system reboots.

Hi. I have managed to create custom live CD with ubuntu 14.10 i386 on it. With the UCK utility. Firstly it's an elephant size about 1.1Gb and have a lot of stuff you don't need for a machine that have only purpose to remote connect. Second one I don't know how to customize ubuntu to work in kiosk-like way, as you mentioned before (reboot after you close view client). So if you can share with me, what you are doing with system during customization (if it's your way to make custom ubuntu), that will be enough and will not put you in jail:)

Two things I want to know:

1. What I can do with the system to make it light and act like a single purpose live cd. With VMWare client autostart and reboot after client is closed.

2. Where to put view-default-config  to make sure Client will connect with parameters I need. (I have read the horizon-client-linux-document.pdf)

Or you can share your version via some different source (contacted you in skype).

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

As far as I know UCK takes an existing Ubuntu-ISO and then just adds a few packages and then rebuilds the iso - is that right ?

I do not use UCK at all.
Instead I start with a fresh installed system from scratch. The basesystem just has  Ubuntu-minimal and is a naked cli-only setup.
Then I enable the apt-source that has the old 2.2 deb-package named vmware-view-client: i386.
After apt-get update I basically install
apt-get install xorg icewm lightdm vmware-view-client wicd wicd-gtk lxrandr --no-install-recommends

Installing the old version is a easy way to get the dependancies for View.

Once the old version works I run

apt-get purge vmware-view-client

and once that version is removed the new one can be installed.

All that happens in a VM for convenience reasons.

Last step then uses a shell-script that takes the existing, running system and creates a completely new LiveCD from it.
The shell script I use to build the LiveCD is similar to the one that was used until one or two years ago named Remastersys.
The remastersys script is still available - see about.remastersys

But Remastersys is a dead project so the code may disappear soon or will stop to work with latest Ubuntu/Debian versions.

Create a kiosk-like restricted UI ...

That is quite easy: install xorg without Windowmanager.
Next install icewm and lightdm.
Configure lightdm for auto-login of the main-user and set icewm as the default in lightdm.conf

Then just replace the files in /home/user/.icewm with the ones that I have.

I will document that part now and post instructions soon.

0 Kudos
vantonov
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, UCK is opening ubuntu iso and let's you configure it with cli interface so it quite powerful, when you done with the cli setup it packs configured ditro into iso file. iso have internet access during configuration, so I think I can manage to configure it your way. I just need more information about setting up system as kiosk with preconfigured connection to vmware. Much appriciate if you provide more information about this step.

UPD: I managed to launch CLI Ubuntu with lightdm running icewm and autologin as user. One thing left is the script files you mentioned and a way to convert this whole thing into working Live CD (less difficult part if Remastersys will work fine). Can you share those scripts?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at the download
it contains icewm.tgz and unpacks to /home/moon/.icewm/*
It has the conf-file to restrict icewm.
You will also find latest deb packages for remaster.sys that I downloaded.
Make sure you have the dependancies.
I think
dpkg -i remastersys_3.0.4-2_all.deb
apt-get install -f
should work.

0 Kudos
vantonov
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! Your config is working perfectly.

I have encountered a problem using remastersys on 14.10 because it have no isolinux.bin in it, as described here at Ubuntu Forums

Manually placenig the isolinux.bin to /lib/syslinux seem to have solved the problem. One thing for me that is left to make Microsoft RDP working. I have installed freeRDP-X11 package like it was mentioned in this thread, but connection does not get even started. Only log entries that are shown at time of connection is about "Spawn of vmware-view-usb failed, no such file or directory" I wonder how it can be related to RDP connection. 3.2 Client have component called vmware-horizon-usb, so may be freeRDP is trying to launch some old stuff, if these problems related I wonder where to change config of freeRDP to use new components if it needs them.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

How do you start vmware-view-usb ?
I launch it using the full path via rc.local:

/usr/lib/vmware/view/usb/vmware-usbarbitrator

/usr/lib/vmware/view/usb/vmware-view-usbd

Note the order of starting: the arbitrator must be started first.

About RDP ...
I dont use RDP - when PCoIP works I see no reason to use RDP

0 Kudos
vantonov
Contributor
Contributor

I don't need usb redirection yet, so I haven't bothered about this feauture at all. Thank you for sharing this way to launch it with me.

For testing purposes client wants to have RDP connection as well, because now we have a problem with black screen VMware KB: Troubleshooting a black screen when logging into a Horizon View virtual desktop using PCo... Connection is working perfectly on VM, but in actual system it hangs with black screen and disconnects then.

0 Kudos
aechols
Contributor
Contributor

The manual also has all the dependencies for install. I thought it might be of interest.

Download

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Brian,

Please try new client 3.5.0. That's the fully qualified version for ubuntu 14.04 64bit.

0 Kudos