VMware Cloud Community
Michael_Jervis
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with Time Protocol in ESXi 5.1.0 1065491

I am having issues with the time on my ESXi 5.1 (1065491) VMware farm. The farm consists of three separate physical servers (2 - Dell PowerEdge 1950, 1 - Dell PowerEdge 2950). The Virtual Center Server is a VM on the farm housed on ESXi2, it displays the correct time as well as the SQL Server which is also a VM housed on ESXi3. There are no VMs on ESXi1 currently.

The time keeps jumping 4 days and 3 hours into the past no matter what I do. I am using NTP but still the time skews. I change it manually with the following commands:

hwclock -d 01/05/2015 -t 14:06:00

esxcli system time set -y 2015 -M 01 -d 05 -H 14 -m 06 -s 00

esxcli hardware clock set -y 2015 -M 01 -d 05 -H 14 -m 06 -s 00

It then shows the correct time in vSphere Client then between 30 secs to 1 min it reverts back to the past. Time when it reverts displays 01/01/2015 06:05 on all three servers. It shows that NTP Client is running and the correct NTP servers are listed.

The /etc/ntp.conf looks like this:

restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer

restrict 127.0.0.1

server ##.##.##.##

server ##.##.##.##

driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

Where ##.##.##.## is the internal IP addresses of our NTP servers. The /etc/ntp.drift looks like this:

~ # cat /etc/ntp.drift

In Configuration => Software => Security Profile => Firewall Properties, SSH Server, SSH Client, and NTP Client are enabled.

In Configuration => Software => Security Profile => Services Properties, NTP Daemon and SSH are running.

I am at a loss...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What kind of time server do you use? There are known issues with Windows Domain Controllers (see VMware KB: Synchronizing ESXi/ESX time with a Microsoft Domain Controller ). You may also want to ensure that the time server isn't a VM running on one of these hosts. Do you have direct network access to the time server, or through a proxy?

André

0 Kudos
Michael_Jervis
Contributor
Contributor

The NTP servers are on the same subnet and are a Cisco 1841 Router and a Cisco Catalyst 3550 Switch. Other systems in the environment (Websense Appliance, Linux, Windows, etc) use it to sync time with no issues.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unless already done, you may want to take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1005092 for troubleshooting NTP on ESXi.

André

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hello Michael,

just from VMware perspective if you want to entirely stop any VM to sync it's time with underlying host and be sure that virtualization layer is not

the cause of similar issues you have to manualy edit .vmx files of all affected VMs otherwise operations like (Power On, vMotion, Suspend, Snapshots)

will force time sync with the host even you have unchecked time sync checkbox in VMtools options.

All the settings are described in this KB article:

VMware KB: Disabling Time Synchronization

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
gopanaboena
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Do not use time from ESXi for VMs, use from PDC for this you have to uncheck the time sync option in the VM options

0 Kudos