VMware {code} Community
red9472
Contributor
Contributor

Retrieve Hardware information about VM in VappTemplate

How do you obtain the Virtual Hardware configuration for a VM that is in a VappTemplate, using the java API?

Here is what I have so far, but cannot find anywhere the information about the number of CPUs, memory etc for a VM in a VappTemplate.

CatalogItem catItem = CatalogItem.getCatalogItemByReference(vcloudClient, catItemRef);

ReferenceType vappTemplateRef = catItem.getEntityReference();

VappTemplate vappTemplate = VappTemplate.getVappTemplateByReference(vcloudClient, vappTemplateRef);

for (VappTemplate child : vappTemplate.getChildren()) { ... }

The 'child' object (illogically, it is a VappTemplateType type) contains most of the information about the VM such as name, and it even contains the NetworkConfig section etc, Now am I simply missing something, or is the CPU, Memory and Disk information not there?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
test_c
Contributor
Contributor

The VappTemplate VM's are also of the same type as the VappTemplate object. The getChildren() method returns a list of VappTemplates which are actually the VM objects inside.There is no straight forward way to get the virtual hardware section of the VappTemplate VM's. This feature is available in vCD 5.6.

//Code snippet to retrieve this using vCD 5.6

VappTemplate template = VappTemplate.getVappTemplateByReference(vcloudClient, vappTemplRef);

List<VappTemplate> temp = template.getChildren();

for (VappTemplate vappTemplate : temp)

{

System.out.println(vappTemplate.getCpu());

}

As a work around you can try to use the root VappTemplate's getOvf method and then parse through the EnvelopeType object and get the required CPU, Memory, Disks etc.

//Code snippet to retrieve h/w info using vCD 5.5

// START

VappTemplate vAppTemplate = null;

// Retrieving all the vAppReferences

for (ReferenceType vAppTemplateRef : Vdc.getVdcByReference(vcloudClient, vdcRef).getVappTemplateRefs()) {

// Retrieve the vppTemplate using Reference

vAppTemplate = VappTemplate.getVappTemplateByReference(vcloudClient, vAppTemplateRef);

EnvelopeType envelope = vAppTemplate.getOvf();

// Retrieve the VirtualSystemCollection

VirtualSystemCollectionType virtualSystemCollection = (VirtualSystemCollectionType) envelope.getContent().getValue();

Iterator<JAXBElement<? extends ContentType>> iterator = virtualSystemCollection.getContent().iterator();

VirtualSystemType virtualSystem = null;

while (iterator.hasNext()) {

virtualSystem = (VirtualSystemType) iterator.next().getValue();

List<JAXBElement<? extends SectionType>> sections = virtualSystem.getSection();

Iterator<JAXBElement<? extends SectionType>> it = sections.iterator();

VirtualHardwareSectionType virtualHardwareSection = null;

while (it.hasNext()) {

JAXBElement<? extends SectionType> sec = it.next();

if (sec.getValue() instanceof VirtualHardwareSectionType) {

virtualHardwareSection = ((VirtualHardwareSectionType) sec.getValue());

if (virtualHardwareSection != null) {

List<RASDType> items = virtualHardwareSection.getItem();

if (items != null) {

for (RASDType item : items) {

String itemResourceType = item.getResourceType().getValue();

if (itemResourceType.equals("3"))//CPU

System.out.println("vm:"+ virtualSystem.getId()+ "  Number of CPU:"+ item.getVirtualQuantity().getValue());

if (itemResourceType.equals("4"))//Memory

System.out.println("vm:"+ virtualSystem.getId()+ "  Memory: "+ item.getVirtualQuantity().getValue());

if (itemResourceType.equals("17"))//DISK

System.out.println("vm:"+ virtualSystem.getId()+ "  Disk Name: "+ item.getElementName().getValue());

}

}

}

}

}

}

}

// END

0 Kudos
mitradebopam
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. This really helped me getting the details. 

But I am struggling to get the Hard Disk space. Can you please help?

I am using the version 5.1.

0 Kudos