VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert

I am able to configure LI 2.5 to send alerts to vROPS.  The alerts show up on the object's Alerts tab.

Are there any other integration points with vROPs?  Can it send log entries to the vROPs object's events page?

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
32 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Integration between LI 2.5 and vR Ops 6.0 allows for:

• Sending alerts from LI to vR Ops -- as well as automatic mapping to the right object if your LI query groups by a field (object) known by vR Ops (this automatic mapping is new)
  • Launching in context from a vR Ops object to the objects logs in LI -- requires manual installation of the LI MP available for free on VMware Solution Exchange
  • Launching in context from a LI event to the objects in vR Ops -- requires manual installation of the LI MP available for free on VMware Solution Exchange (new)
  • Inventory tagging of events -- you will see events from ESXi hosts and VMs get tagged with things such as the datacenter and cluster object the reside in within vCenter (new)

Sending logs from LI to vR Ops is not supported today. I hope this helps!

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
MattG
Expert
Expert

How does the vROPs to LI integration work?   I installed the vROPS LI .pak file that was available from the vROPs download page.  Is this not what is needed for this integration?

With regard to LI automatically mapping objects to vROPs,  is this just for alerts or will it do this OOB?

Thanks,

-Mattg

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

A new one was released and is available on Solution Exchange - I would suggest upgrading, but yes this is what I am was referring to. Install the MP and then configure vR Ops integration on LI (/admin/vrops) and everything else is down for you. The only other user step would be configuring alerts to send to vR Ops.

The inventory mapping is OOB if you did the above and the vR Ops instance used is integrated with a vSphere instance that is logging to LI.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

I cannot figure out what needs to be done with the vROPS pak for LI.   It says no configuration is needed?  Is that correct?  I don't need to configure it,  just configure LI to vROPS integration from LI?

-MattG

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Correct Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just a question on the OOB inventory mapping/alert configuration. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or there's just some kind of bug on my installation.

I've a Log Insight Server 2.5 that was upgraded from 2.0 (that was connected to our old vcops 5.8 enterprise) and now it's connected to our vrealize Operations 6 (vCloud Enteprise license). Log Insight and vROPS are getting logs/monitoring the same vcenter server.

I was expecting that to enable alert forwarding I just have to do those things:

1) Going on Interactive Analytics

2) Opening the Manage Alerts (on the red bell icon)

3) checking one Alert from the vSphere Content Pack (like Storage: Snapshot consolidation required)

4) editing it and enabling "Send to vRealize Operation Manager"

5) Click "Save to My Alerts"

I get and invalid value on the Resource ... and I should select one but this is a "generic" Alert i was expecting that it will go on the correct object.

Immagine.png

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

No, I think you have to "Select a vRealize Operations Manager resource to associate with the notifications events". Hope this helps.

-Yogita.

0 Kudos
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes but that Alert is not something related to a single vm and the same is for all alert for the vsphere loginsight monitoring... I was expecting that after integrating log insight with vsphere and vrealize operations Manager those alerting could be sent to the correct object automatically (probably I've not understood the integration well):

From the previous posts, this one: 

- Sending alerts from LI to vR Ops -- as well as automatic mapping to the right object if your LI query groups by a field (object) known by vR Ops (this automatic mapping is new)

and this one:

- The inventory mapping is OOB if you did the above and the vR Ops instance used is integrated with a vSphere instance that is logging to LI

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you select say VM-abc, it will send alerts to all/any vms that sent log messages that triggered the alert  - if the alert is triggered by log messages that aren't matched to vrops objects, it will send the alert to VM-abc. Does that help a little?

-Yogita.

0 Kudos
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So The resource I'm choosing is just the "default" VM for alert that in some way are not generated by a vm/esx or whatever that is not monitored by vrops.

Let me make an example: if I have 2 vcenter (vcA and vcB) with their esx servers sending logs to log insight and only one vcenter (vcA) is monitored by vrops. Iif the alert is from an esx server/vm of the vcA (monitored) the alert will go automatically to the object that generated it and is monitored by vrops, if the alert instead is generated by vcB that is not monitored by vrops it will go to the "default" resource I've selected in the resource.

Is this correct?

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Yogita is correct and yes so is your example

0 Kudos
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've enabled some alerts on log Insight to go to vrealize and to go to default to one of the host.. now what I see is that the alarm are going all to the default host.

As an example I've enabled the nfslock failed check and i get some logs for failed events but they don't go to the esx server but on the vm i've set as default.

I was thinking that those should go to the single object into vrealize...

There's something wrong I'm doing?

Immagine1.png

Immagine2.png

Immagine3.png

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Hmm this looks like a valid ESXi host to me. You can see in the events on IA that you are getting tags like vmw_vr_ops_id, which proves that the inventory service mapping is working. This means the alert should be sent to the correct object, but this does not appear to be working. Can you please file a SR and post the SR number here? Also be sure to upload a support bundle from Log Insight.

0 Kudos
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks, it seems strange to me also... I was not sure of what I should get but that way it seems really wrong and unuseful.

I can confirm that on vrops the esxi hosts appear and are correctly monitored.

Tomorrow I can open the SR and attach the support bundle...

I'm not sure if this can be something useful to know but If i try to unconfigure the vrops integration when I click "save" i get the button continuing to have the icon animation as if it was working on something for hours but it seems that it does nothing (I was thinking to unconfigure/reconfigure vrops integration) and when i go back on vrops integration page I see that all is still configured.

The log insight I'm using is a 1.5 first upgraded to 2.0 then to 2.5 (if I remember well) and at this moment it's not used in production so probably I can try a clean 2.5 install and check if something start to work before opening the SR.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

OK, did some testing and received confirmation - what you are seeing is a bug. To make it work, you have to use non-aggregation queries. In short, remove the group by hostname and then create an alert and it will map properly (just tested). Feel free to file a SR anyway, but know that a bug has been filed. I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Instead of changing the query and saving it back I've tried changing the Alert itself from the "When more then x event occur in a single group in the last x hours" to  "On any match" and it seems to work correctly.

sflanders
Commander
Commander

Yes, it would appear the issue is not aggregation queries, but the use of the third radio threshold button under alerts.

0 Kudos
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just a last question Smiley Happy

I'm trying to integrate some alerting from our NetApp storage (a 7 mode so manually finding them) that is sending logs to loginsight into vrops (in which I have the blue medora NetApp adapter) and i would like, if possible to automatically map the alert to the right storage/volume/aggregate and so on..something similar to what LI and vrops do for vsphere objects.

Is this possible?

Can I define some fields on the logs (something like the object name) so that it will be mapped automatically to the correct vrops object (it's possible to have an example of how it could be done?) or I should filter the alerts for single object and map them manually?

Thanks

Francesco

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

This is not possible today, but is being considered for a future release. A management pack in the future could provide this functionality for example.

0 Kudos