VMware Cloud Community
Sateesh_vCloud

ESX 4.1 Storage paths in Stand-by state - After ESX reboot failed to powre-on VM (add to inventory is greyed out)

We have ESX 4.1 host with 1198252 build number

Weekend SAN team performed balancing LUNs between their controllers.

Today issue started with one VM not responding - Data store not responding - all VM's in data store having trouble - reboot ESX host

After reboot of 2 hosts out of 5 in the Cluster - It is not allowing me to neither power-on VM or add to inventory.

Storage paths shows: Standby

Going to open a case with VMware but still wants to know any other help ....

pastedImage_0.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
Tags (5)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Sateesh_vCloud

We found the work around as below.

As all the paths are standby and no active path is available, We asked SAN team to make sure they have Active/Passive Array and paths are distributed equally between the controllers.

Then we changed the policy for each LUN (40 in our case) from RR to FIXED. Now half paths showing Active and half are Standby.

It helped us to bring the VM's online.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos