1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2014 6:59 PM by allupinyourdc

VSA 5.5 Increase VSA Cluster Storage Capacity warning - stalled

allupinyourdc Novice

I am working on a VSA cluster to increase the storage capacity, but have run into a snag.

The increase storage wizard walked through all of the VSA's and shut each one down, expanded the storage footprint on the local server datastores, and looked like it was finishing up but got stuck at this "warning" and didn't increase the actual VSA datastore sizes.

"Increase Storage Warning: Finished extending VMDKs and waited 300 seconds for storage entities to come online. Please stop I/Os on the VSA datastores for increase storage to continue."

I may have the option to literally shut down all of the VM's to cease all IO during the weekend, but was not expecting to have to take an outage to do this work. Is there any way to get the job to complete?

I'm also not confient that if all IO was stopped this would pick right back up and finish, so looking to see if there are other options.

Anyone run into anything similar or have any ideas on how to help (services to bounce, if safe, etc)?

• 1. Re: VSA 5.5 Increase VSA Cluster Storage Capacity warning - stalled
          allupinyourdc Novice

Just an update:

After spending some time with VMware technical support, we determined the quickest way to resolution that was "clean" and didn't involve and outage window of the entire environment was just rebuilding the VSA. A root cause was never determined, however there a few issues when fsck was run, so possible corruption of some sort.

I spent the time to move the VM's to local diskspace, tear down the VSA and rebuild and it seems OK. However a storage increase was not attempted again.