VMware Communities
pbraren
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Failed upgrade from Technology Preview July 2014 to Workstation 11 "Error: This product can only be installed on 64bit Windows 7 or newer Operating Systems."

I'm using Windows 8.1 64 bit, with all the latest Windows Update patches.

Anybody else seeing this problem?

Found a workaround?

2014-12-02_15-05-48.png

It fails with that same message (pictured above) when I

1. run the "Software Updates" wizard from within the Technology Preview
  2. run the VMware-workstation-full-11.0.0-2305329.exe download, as it begins the install routine, it first goes to uninstall the beta code
  3. run the VMware-workstation-full-11.0.0-2305329.exe in Windows 8 or Windows 7 Compatibility mode
  4. run the VMware-workstation-full-11.0.0-2305329.exe as Administrator (while logged into to Administrator account)
  5. rename (to re-enable debug)
    C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-debug.exe-ORIGINAL
    back to
    C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-debug.exe
    as described here TinkerTry IT @ home |  How to disable debug mode in VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2014 for a...
  6. when trying to use "Programs and Features", Uninstall/Change

If there was an uninstaller to run from

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation

I'd run it, but there isn't.

Any ideas?

Interesting that the built-in Windows 8.1 troubleshooting wizard has this to say

2014-12-02_15-15-09.png

TinkerTry.com
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pbraren
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I fixed it, here's how:

1) Re-download the Technology Preview July 2014:
VMware-workstation-full-e.x.p-1946049.exe

from here:

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/get-download?downloadGroup=WKST-TP-JULY-2014

2)  ran the above exe, installer, when prompted (as pictured below), I chose "Remove", and it worked this time, without error

3)  then, without even needing to reboot, I was able to proceed with the upgrade, by simply running

VMware-workstation-full-11.0.0-2305329.exe

and I'm now on VMware Workstation 11, the GA edition.

Glad this worked out, hoping this post will help other beta testers that may run into the same issue.

I'll go ahead and mark this question as answered now.

repair of broken install.png

TinkerTry.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RJIn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please try the simple steps and see if that works.

1. Manually Uninstall VMware Workstation 10 or older version (if any) from Control Panel>Programs and Features.

2. Once done, move the VMware Workstation 11 installer to different directory and try to install it from there

For example:- If the Workstation 11 installer is under downloads folder move it to desktop or documents and start the installing again by double clicking on it.

--Thanks

0 Kudos
pbraren
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ah, I should elaborate on item #6 above.

Uninstall fails with the same message (as the subject line), so I cannot do a simple uninstall of the

Technology Preview July 2014
and I don't have version 10 or any other version also installed.  Here's a screenshot:
2014-12-02_15-06-54.png

I put up this post, just in case others have run into this, and even better, if somebody has figured out a more elegant way to upgrade, as I was hoping to avoid a messy manual uninstall:

VMware KB: Cleaning up after an incomplete uninstallation on a Windows host

and I'm not in a big hurry at the moment to fix this.

I realize there are creative old tricks, like reinstalling what you got (if I have a copy of the beta installer still laying about), but again, holding off, hoping this is a known issue, with a workaround.

TinkerTry.com
0 Kudos
RJIn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would recommend you just  moving  the downloaded installer of Workstation 11 to a different location and try re-installing Workstation 11 from the same installer.

We don't have to try the Clean up KB.

0 Kudos
pbraren
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Tried moving the installer to a different local drive (D:), unfortunately, it didn't help, same issue.

TinkerTry.com
0 Kudos
pbraren
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I fixed it, here's how:

1) Re-download the Technology Preview July 2014:
VMware-workstation-full-e.x.p-1946049.exe

from here:

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/get-download?downloadGroup=WKST-TP-JULY-2014

2)  ran the above exe, installer, when prompted (as pictured below), I chose "Remove", and it worked this time, without error

3)  then, without even needing to reboot, I was able to proceed with the upgrade, by simply running

VMware-workstation-full-11.0.0-2305329.exe

and I'm now on VMware Workstation 11, the GA edition.

Glad this worked out, hoping this post will help other beta testers that may run into the same issue.

I'll go ahead and mark this question as answered now.

repair of broken install.png

TinkerTry.com
0 Kudos