VMware Cloud Community
randomparity
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to Remove Inaccessible NFS Storage

Trying to remove a read-only NFS mount which serves my ISO images on ESX 5.5.  Here's

what I see from the client UI.

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 3.56.43 PM.png

Listing the NFS shares through esxcli shows nothing:

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 3.59.54 PM.png

When trying to create a new datastore, same NFS server and share but different datastore name

I get the following error:

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 4.04.43 PM.png

Where do I go to delete the old datastore?  There's no option to delete the existing "iso directory"

datastore:

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 4.07.33 PM.png

There are no "Storage Providers" defined:

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 4.09.20 PM.png

And none of the "Settings" appear to be configurable:

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 4.11.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 4.11.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 4.11.38 PM.png

Any suggestions appreciated.

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
randomparity
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turns out it was the snapshots.  I need to be more careful in the future and remove the ISO images from my VMs before taking s snapshot.

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the VMware Community!

Have you had a look at VMware KB: Unable to remove an inaccessible NFS datastore with Storage I/O control enabled ? I think this may do the trick.

You may just need to stop and start the service again if its not showing up in the list when you run esxcli command.

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
0 Kudos
randomparity
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.  I found this article earlier and followed its instructions (along with a system reboot) prior to my current situation.  That's why I included the output of the "esxcli storage nfs list" command, to demonstrate that my current problem doesn't appear to be related to the KB article.

On a separate note, I found that several VMs had snapshots that were taken while the problematic NFS share was still in use by the virtual machine (the Related Objects tab):

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 7.27.07 PM.png

I'm in the process of removing the snapshots to see if that helps.

Dave

0 Kudos
randomparity
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turns out it was the snapshots.  I need to be more careful in the future and remove the ISO images from my VMs before taking s snapshot.

Dave

0 Kudos