The VCIX-NV exam was released slightly more than a month ago and there isn’t much information on the Internet right now. Since I took the exam yesterday, I thought I give my experience of the exam. I also expected the exam to have issues since it is still very new.
Some background information about me: I’m a CCIE, VCAP4/5-DCD and VCAP5-DCA and I have been working in the networking field for some time.
PDF Documentation provided during the exam
- NSX API guide
- NSX Install guide
- NSX Admin guide
- When I started the exam, I saw the VCAP-DCA logo and I was thinking to myself if I booked the wrong exam or is Vue delivering the wrong exam???
- The score report has the same VCAP-DCA logo and certification name.
- At the start, the instructions wrote there are going to be 19 tasks in total but it turns out to be 18 (not 17 as per the blueprint).
- Web client: Anyone who uses the web client will know how slow it is, how it crashes occasionally, how it is unable to display certain information etc.
- Slow connection speed: Since this is a remote lab, I expected to have some lag. However, I encountered severe lag in the middle of the exam. In summary, the overall experience is worst than my VCAP5-DCA exam.
- Screen refresh in the web client console: The whole console screen refreshes itself when there is a new line and this is really really slow. I suggest that we have SSH access to the Linux VMs instead.
- Test VMs: The test VMs are not powered on and I have no idea why.
- Topology: There is no topology diagram of what the test environment is like, what is pre-configured for us etc.
I read that the VCIX-NV exam is designed to be tougher than the VCAP-DCA exam and the difficulty level is designed to be similar to the CCIE lab exam. I believed the certification exam has accomplished that! Comparing with the VCAP5-DCA exam, the questions in VCIX-NV are longer, more complex and more vague. You also have to do more tasks in the same time frame as well. Not sure if I can say anything more without violating the NDA.
This exam is fair and everything tested is listed in the blueprint. To prepare for this exam, have lots of hands on practice and know everything in the blueprint. Right now, I am waiting for my results but I guess I have to take the exam again =)