VMware Edu & Cert Community
keithsweat
Contributor
Contributor

Best VCP exam study book

Hi,

I'm new to studying for the VCP. My career is more focused on the network side of things with very little VMware experience. I was just sent to take a VCP course for work and now looking to get certified. It seems the two most popular books are VCP5-DCV official Cert guide written by Bill Ferguson and Sybex VCP5-DCV Certification Guide written by Brian Atkinson.

Do people recommend one over the other?

Thanks

5 Replies
VRBitman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Both are great. Read them both!

-- VR Bitman | http://virtualis.info | vSphere 5.5 Guide: http://goo.gl/QUqTH7 VMware professional, virtualization & FOSS evangelist, informatician, geek VCA-Cloud, VCA-WM, VCA-DCV, VCP-DCV
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Make sure you have a good look through the exam blueprint for VCP550 - you can get that from here: (VCP5-DCV) VCP-Data Center Virtualization

I'd also suggest using some of this: VMware vSphere Documentation

And building a home lab using this: Download VMware vSphere with Operations Management Evaluation - Free Managed Virtualization for 60 D...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ludiegu
Contributor
Contributor

Hey keithsweat, what book did you use at last? I'm in your same situation and I'm quite lost at the moment. Also, did you pass the exam?

All the best.

--

Diego

0 Kudos
keithsweat
Contributor
Contributor

I bought the Official Cert Guid of VCP5-DVC by Bill Ferguson by VMware Press. Overall good book. I'm currently on the chapter going over DRS, Vmotion, HA, Resource pool. Up until this chapter the book is really good. I have to admit the way he address this chapter is a little puzzling still. He says there is a method to his madness as he discusses DRS, HA, FT before he gets into vMotion. I almost had to read the chapter a and go back to re-do Labs at home. I'm a 100 Network engineer so VMware isn't strong point so this might be way i'm a bit confused.

Regardless i'm still happy with the purchase. I'm hoping to finish up the book in a  couple of weeks and put in some time with practice exams and take the exam. I wish i had read the book before i took the VCP class. Overall as a network guy the VM world is making a lot more sense to me and this book is really helping with that.

I'm also using CBT nuggets and the materials i got from the VM certified course to help me. Doing the actual Labs at home makes a world of a difference.

Good Luck!!

0 Kudos
keithsweat
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry VCP5-DCV

0 Kudos