3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2014 10:09 AM by a.p.

New to VMWARE. Need some help

NickWojo Lurker

I am wanting to set up a home network with a server and I have no idea which way to go. I have an older Dell R710 server as well as a Dell R510. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

• 1. Re: New to VMWARE. Need some help
          vmrulz Hot Shot

Ahem, yeah you need to define your goal, requirements and budget for this setup. What do have in the way of network and storage gear etc. What vmware product are you thinking of using? You can setup a cluster of two hosts. Shared storage and vmware licensing will likely be your biggest spends.  I'd hate to advocate an inferior product but HyperV may be a cheaper way to go but I'm a little stale on what consumer level products vmware produces anymore as all my work is in vsphere.

• 2. Re: New to VMWARE. Need some help
            NickWojo Lurker

Well my goal is for home use. I am using Cisco switches and the everyday happy home owner router from your local cable provider, but if I decide to make this a larger scale network I will purchase a Cisco 2821 router. Like I said in the previous post I am using Dell servers with Redhat installed and I am wondering if it would be beneficial to run VMware and if so what flavor of VMWare would be the best for private home use?

• 3. Re: New to VMWARE. Need some help
              a.p. Guru
              Community WarriorsUser ModeratorsvExpert

In this case ESXi might be the right product for you. Since this is installed directly on the hardware (i.e. a Type 1 Hypervisor) make sure you check your hardware is compatible (e.g. RAID Controller, Network adapters, ...). See VMware Compatibility Guide

André