VMware Cloud Community
jeroenvdberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to login - vCloud Usage Meter 3.4

I deployed a new vCloudUsageMeter-3.4.0.0-2245636_OVF10.ova and I am unable to login.

I've re-deployed the VM without succes.

Even after resetting the password using webpass and rebooting the VM and tomcat (using service tomcat restart) multime times, the error remains:

Error:

Login failed

Using either root or usgmtr as the username.

I am able to login using both the root and usgmtr account to login via the console.

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garethtyrer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I deployed it I logged into the console as usgmtr, used webpass to set a password and then logged into the website using admin and the password I set - maybe I was lucky Smiley Happy I couldn't find a user account documented anywhere.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
garethtyrer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

have you tried "admin" and the password you set using webpass?

0 Kudos
seanwerth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same issue and have tried 'admin', 'root', 'usgmtr' and also left the username field blank.

Anybody know what the username is?

0 Kudos
garethtyrer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I deployed it I logged into the console as usgmtr, used webpass to set a password and then logged into the website using admin and the password I set - maybe I was lucky Smiley Happy I couldn't find a user account documented anywhere.

seanwerth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect! That worked. Unfortunately the doc uses root to login and run the webpass command.

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
jeroenvdberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Absoluut genius.

That worked. Thnx.

This is from the documentation b.t.w:

Better Appliance Security

When you deploy a new vCloud Usage Meter appliance, as part of the process you will be prompted for passwords for two accounts: root and usgmtr.

Use the usgmtr account to log in and set the web application password.

But since there never was a username to login to the web application I figured I would have to use the account 'usgmtr' to login to the webconsole.

Maybe they should change the documentation to something like this:

Better Appliance Security

When you deploy a new vCloud Usage Meter appliance, as part of the process you will be prompted for passwords for two accounts: root and usgmtr.

Use the usgmtr account to log in to the console of the appliance and use the command 'webpass' set the password for the admin account.

The account 'admin' along with the password set using the webpass can be used to login to the web application via: https://<ip or dns):8443/um/

Ambarish08
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello ,

I  deployed 3.4 Beta version successfully of vCloud usage meter. Password set via Webpass command .

When I login using admin user , I m unable to see tab like Report, Rule  , Customer which was visible in 3.3 Version

----

Thanks In Advance

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi. I’m sorry that it’s not clear what’s happening. After you fill in at least an email address on Manage -> Provider, the remaining menu items should appear.

0 Kudos
malhi_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos
RobRizzi7210
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I discovered a not so obvious caveat that some users may unknowingly encounter when using the webpass script properly. The issue involves the use of special characters in the password you select for the admin account.

Let's say for example you login correctly using the usgmtr account and whatever password you setup originally when you configured the appliance. You then type webpass and choose a password like "sun$moon" (without the quotes). You will not receive an error, and you will not be able to authenticate via the web page when using the admin account as you might think. The reason is the "$" symbol is passed to the cURL linux command, which when used in this context does not pass the "$" character correctly from the shell variable or does not pass the full password you entered because the "$" has a special meaning to bash when used as shown below:

2015-09-30_18-07-28.jpg

The problem is related to how the bash shell processes the script as shown. VMware should be able to fix this fairly easily with back-quotes, quotes, an escape sequence or some other method which I don't have the time to figure out at the moment. Smiley Happy

When I replaced the "$" with a "." for example, it works no problem. There might be some other esoteric symbols that will cause a similar problem, so YMMV. I only know for a fact that using the "$" WILL NOT WORK in version 3.4 at least and probably all the way back to at least 3.2.

I have included a screen shot of the latest version of the user documentation for version 3.4 as of 9/30/2015 below, which is where the documentation note should be added.

2015-09-30_18-23-18.jpg

0 Kudos
brenttaylor23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This helped me.  I was using %^$ in various passwords, but then switched to a ! and I could logon.  The username is admin, which isn't very clear from the documentation either.

0 Kudos