VMware Communities
mbmast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to suspend a VM under Workstation 10 when host installed UPS software is informed of a power failure?

Using Eaton's Intelligent Power Manager (the manufacturer of the UPS), is there a way to suspend all the running VMs running under Workstation 10 when the UPS detects a power outage?  The UPS can cause the host to hibernate, but I would like the VMs suspended first, in case there is a problem hibernating the host.

VMware produces a Distributed Power Manager application, but I can't seem to determine if this works with Workstation 10 or some other VMware product.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have a look at Network UPS Tools and see if this will provide what you require.

In brief brief it is a master and slave system. The host will be the master and the VMs will be the slaves. When there is a power outage the UPS will notify the host/master which will then relay the notification to the slaves.

0 Kudos
mbmast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This looks good.  If I can run a script on the host with sufficient entitlements during a power failure, then I can suspend the virtual machines.  I'll try it out when I receive my Eaton UPS (which is replacing a really lousy APC UPS).

0 Kudos