VMware Communities
spiritride
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Screen resolution changes reverting back when toggling between Yosemite and Fusion 7

Upgrading to Yosemite on my MacBook Pro forced me to also upgrade from Fusion 5, which had been very stable and problem free. Unfortunately, I've experienced a very annoying behavior of the screen resolution in my Windows 7 virtual session when I toggle between Yosemite and the Windows 7 virtual partition. Any time I make a screen resolution change and change over to the Yosemite side, when I return to Windows 7, the resolution reverts back to the default 2880 X 1800 setting, which requires a magnifying glass to view! Anyone else experiencing this? I couldn't find a thread discussing this behavior, but I know Yosemite is new.

Also, since this is clearly a bug, can someone tell me the best way to report this to VMWare? I'm sure they want to know about bugs, but I don't know the best way to report them. They were very helpful when I discovered the hard way that upgrading to Yosemite before first checking to see if Fusion 5 was compatible (it isn't) was a mistake on my part - they got me back on track and even though it's a bear to find out how to get a live person on the line with the VMWare site, once I did, I eventually got a guy who nailed it - kudos to their tech support team for that.

Glenn

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello Glenn

Try disabling Retina support by going to

1. Virtual Machine menu > Settings > Display . Uncheck Use Full Resolution on Retina Display.

Cheers! Avanish

View solution in original post

12 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello Glenn

Try disabling Retina support by going to

1. Virtual Machine menu > Settings > Display . Uncheck Use Full Resolution on Retina Display.

Cheers! Avanish
spiritride
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for pointing that out - that worked! I didn't even know about that setting - frankly, since first setting up Fusion 5, I never had to adjust the settings, so I learned something new. Perhaps what I need to do is read up on whatever online documentation is available to see what else I may have missed!

Glenn

0 Kudos
SerPantsonfire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm actually having this very same issue.  I did everything listed in this thread, and when I go to set my windows machine at 1920x1200, when I swipe back to Yosemite and then swipe back to the Windows 7 machine, Fusion has set the resolution back to 1280x800.  Any suggestions??

I have attached a short video screenshot showing this issue.

Thanks,

Christian

0 Kudos
allingaijin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This doesn't work for multiple monitors. I'm running a Macbook Pro Retina with 1 monitor connected via thunderbolt and 1 connected via HDMI and running Fusion in Full Screen mode. Anytime I switch workspaces, the resolution gets screwed up on all 3 and I have to readjust it.  This happened sometimes in Mavericks, but now it's every time I switch.

I tried Unity, but it's not working right at all. I can't maximize windows; the maximize button does nothing. When I click and drag a corner to make a window bigger, as soon as I let it go, the window snaps to the screen in a different position.

0 Kudos
mikehiggins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have this same problem. I have a mid-2012 15" MBP non-Retina. Steps:

• I set my resolution in Windows to 1920X1200 (VM in Full Screen mode)
  • Toggle away from Windows VM
  • Return to Windows VM

Results:

Windows resolution is changed back to the default 1680X1050 resolution.

Fortunately, I have not experienced the performance issues that others have reported with Fusion 7 / Yosemite, but this display issue is annoying. It is especially annoying considering that this used to occur in Fusion 5(?) but was fixed in Fusion 6. Now it appears the issue has returned.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

mikehiggins wrote:

I have this same problem. I have a mid-2012 15" MBP non-Retina. Steps:

• I set my resolution in Windows to 1920X1200 (VM in Full Screen mode)
  • Toggle away from Windows VM
  • Return to Windows VM

Results:

Windows resolution is changed back to the default 1680X1050 resolution.

Have you tried to change the setting "Automatically adjust user interface size ..." under Virtual Machine -> Settings -> Display ?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
allingaijin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Support gave me a call today. This is what we did.

1) Set resolution

2) In Windows, go: Computer -> Program Files -> VM Ware -> VmWare Tools and delete something like "VM Ware Resolution Tool" (I don't remember the correct name).

3) restart virtual machine

Apparently that tool is responsible for resetting the Windows resolution. The down side is, you're stuck with whatever resolution you set.  If you want to change it, you have to repair VM Ware Tools, so it reinstalls that resolution tool, and repeat the procedure.

blinkon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are my personal HERO!  Thank you so much for posting this.  I was going nuts trying every combination, doesn't matter what guest OS or fusion display setting, it just decides to revert to whatever resolution it thinks is best. 

0 Kudos
Thimee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's another way to stop the guest from automagically being resized at each swipe:

1. Open Finder, select the "Go" menu then select "Go To Folder..." and type in: ~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/
  2. Open the preferences file in a text editor and add/append the following lines at the end of the file:

pref.autoFitGuestToWindow = "FALSE"

pref.autoFitFullScreen = "stretchGuestToHost"

Taken from: https://communities.vmware.com/message/2293562

Come on VMWare team - why is this not a setting in the preferences pane? This has been a problem since version 5. Do you guys actually use your own product in the real world?! This is something that EVERYONE runs into sooner or later, hiding these in a bizarre configuration location doesn't make for a professional product.

AtsoW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
LibAdri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Greit! Many thanks! This solved definitely the undesired behaviour!

I was experiencing same kind of problem with Mountain Lion since upgraded to Fusion 6: the screen resolution was reset in the VM to the wider available at each reboot. Annoying issue but supportable, which persisted after upgrade to Fusion 7.

Now with Yosemite the issue was becoming really bad because the resolution was resetting at each slide to OSx...

0 Kudos
mielie007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem with Windows 7 on Yosemite and this solution worked for me. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos