VMware Cloud Community
mechgt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ovftool slow but vSphere Client OVF export fast?

vSphere 5.0 system, gigabit NICs everywhere.

I'm trying to use ovftool (3.5.0, Win64-bit ver. running on Win 2008R2) to export and import a large set of VMs.  When I use the ovftool to export from vSphere to OVA files, transfer speed sits around 1MB/sec.  I can't for the life of me figure out why?

Using the vSphere 5.0 Client GUI (File > Export...) it goes quickly (~20MB/sec).  If I export the exact same VM to the exact same storage location using ovftool it's slow.  If I then import that VM back to vSphere using ovftool, it goes quickly... it's only the export from vSphere to OVA using ovftool that's slow.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mechgt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm still experiencing this with 4.0.0 as well.  Below is the section of code I'm trying to run using powercli:

Invoke-Expression '& "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware OVF Tool\ovftool.exe" --noSSLVerify -tt=ova "vi://user@vCenter/datacenter/vm/folder/vmname" "$path"'

Again, it's working but REALLY slow, see below.  Both are from the same vSphere Client, and both are saving to the same network location.

OVFTool.png

0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

maybe antivirus...

0 Kudos
mechgt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried disabling McAfee on-access scan and the Windows Firewall and that made no difference.  I also inspected Resource Monitor and found nothing exciting happening there (top CPU user was OVFtool at 10%, and negligible disk activity since this is being stored directly to network storage).  I feel like I'm either missing something in the ovftool arguments, or there's a significant difference between the recent OVFTools and the vSphere 5.0 Client OVF engines.

0 Kudos