VMware Communities
Stevamundo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fusion 7 is running VERY SLOW on the GM of Yosemite

Basically Fusion 7 is unusable on the GM of Yosemite because fusion 7 is so slow.

When I was still on Mavericks 10.9.5  Fusion 7 was working just great. What happened?

Is anyway that i can fix this? Or do I have to wait for an update?

Steve Harper-Webmaster: http://madentec.com/intro/ Get the latest and greatest in assistive technology.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lordboogie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same thing here... registered just to comment on this issue.

I'm experiencing the same issues of poor performance, 1 CPU core usage on and off with VMware Fusion 7 as well as Parallels Desktop 9 exhibits the same behavior.  The issue is random, because sometimes I'll fire up a VM in either app and it will work normally, others it's one CPU being used, and the VM is extremely sluggish - especially if you don't keep the window in the foreground.

This issue seems isolated to the 2011 iMac and Yosemite final.  I had experienced this same behavior in one of the earlier public betas of Yosemite as well, so it certain feels like an Apple-side issue and not one that on VMware.

Edit... Apparantly this issue may be related to the NVRAM preferences of these particular macs, and they say running sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0xd4e" should fix the issue.

See this link for original information: http://forum.parallels.com/threads/parallels-10-running-slow-on-yosemite.326205/

View solution in original post

138 Replies
renegad3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running somewhat sluggish for me as well, as well as 100% CPU usage on one core (iMac 2011).

Originally when I installed Yosemite I did not have this issue, over night is was fine, and during the day today it developed this issue.

Nothing changed/added during that time.

Hopefully they get this addressed quickly.

Not sure if related or not, but this is only ting I see in console related to Fusion:

10/17/14 5:53:43.198 pm VMware Fusion[13320]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.0 instead of 10.10.0. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.

Call location:

10/17/14 5:53:43.200 pm VMware Fusion[13320]: 0   CarbonCore                          0x00007fff90fcddc3 ___Gestalt_SystemVersion_block_invoke + 113

10/17/14 5:53:43.200 pm VMware Fusion[13320]: 1   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff8d2b0c13 _dispatch_client_callout + 8

10/17/14 5:53:43.200 pm VMware Fusion[13320]: 2   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff8d2b0b26 dispatch_once_f + 117

10/17/14 5:53:43.200 pm VMware Fusion[13320]: 3   CarbonCore                          0x00007fff90f764da _Gestalt_SystemVersion + 987

10/17/14 5:53:43.200 pm VMware Fusion[13320]: 4   CarbonCore                          0x00007fff90f760c7 Gestalt + 144

10/17/14 5:53:43.201 pm VMware Fusion[13320]: 5   VMware Fusion                       0x000000010c174c09 _ZN3cui19VMConfigTransaction3SetINS_8vmdevice7USBCtlr12PluginActionEEEvRNS_19TransactionPropertyIT_S0_EERKS6_ + 250361

10/17/14 5:53:43.201 pm VMware Fusion[13320]: 6   VMware Fusion                       0x000000010c1aeea4 _ZN3cui19VMConfigTransaction3SetINS_8vmdevice7USBCtlr12PluginActionEEEvRNS_19TransactionPropertyIT_S0_EERKS6_ + 488596

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I believe FileVault is is turned on by default. Can you verify ?

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
renegad3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it is not on now, nor has it ever. I was given the option to turn it on during the upgrade process. I declined.

0 Kudos
Stevamundo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nope, my filevalt is/was off.

Also I noticed if I keep constantly move the mouse directly in the VM itself the speed comes back. However as soon I stop moving the mouse, the VM slows down to a crawl.

Steve Harper-Webmaster: http://madentec.com/intro/ Get the latest and greatest in assistive technology.
0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have the same issue with Mid 2011 iMac.  1 3.1GHz core at 100%.  Hope this gets fixed soon.

WadeMasshardt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm seeing the same thing. Was working fine, then today, very slow. Both my Win 8.1 VM and my Mac OS X 10.7 VM. Tried making a new Win 8.1 VM, install is going very slowly. Looked in console log for Fusion, see this line repeated about once per second:

2014-10-19T11:26:52.650-06:00| VMware Fusion| I120: VMHSGetDataFileKey: Could not get the dataFileKey from VMDB

2014-10-19T11:26:53.311-06:00| VMware Fusion| I120: VMHSGetDataFileKey: Could not get the dataFileKey from VMDB

2014-10-19T11:26:53.954-06:00| VMware Fusion| I120: VMHSGetDataFileKey: Could not get the dataFileKey from VMDB

Just an endless scroll.

0 Kudos
kmfurdm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Throwing myself into this.  Same issue.  Mavericks was fine with Fusion 7.  Fusion 7 with Yosemite is slow to the point of being almost useless.

0 Kudos
wickedstealthy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same story here. My Windows 7 Guest is already running flawless since 2012. Upgraded to Yosemite. Was running Fusion 6. My Guest slowed down such that it is almost unusable.

Upgraded to Fusion 7. Same story. Removed old snapshots and cleaned up and reclaimed space.

Same story boot is endless. System is slow as hell. Completely unacceptable.

0 Kudos
trickydee247365
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I have the same issue. Upgraded mavericks to Yosemite and vm performance is terrible for windows 8 VM's on both Fusion 6 and 7. Strangely though windows NT4 seems to work fine :-).

I have the same side effect where if the mouse is moved within the window the VM speeds up, sounds like some kind of Interrupt issue to me.

I never had this issue on Yosemite beta when booting from another drive with Fusion 7.

Rich

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Well, it seems that the update to Yosemite is tickling a rather nasty performance problem somewhere.  I haven't heard any reports yet of this problem being encountered by anyone here at VMware, so I'll need some help from those of you who are encountering this problem to help us to understand it...

First step: Launch Activity Monitor , choose View > All Processes, and see if it shows which process is consuming the CPU.  Is it VMware Fusion, vmware-vmx, some other process, or does no process show up as using the CPU?

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
renegad3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware-vmx for me...

0 Kudos
wickedstealthy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware-vmx process is really hogging the CPU. Tried already several things but no improvements.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please select the vmware-vmx process in the list and choose View > Sample Process.  Enter your password if prompted.  When the sampling is complete, choose the Save... button in the upper-right corner, save it to a file, then attach that file to a post back here.

Thanks!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
renegad3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any idea roughly how long the sampling process should take? Been running for 15 minutes so far....

0 Kudos
dhimic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also experiencing issues.  Fusion 7 works fine on my upgraded Mid 2012 Macbook Pro, but on my Mid 2011 iMac the vm's are virtually unusable and slow  I did a manual uninstall and reinstall of Fusion and the vm worked all evening yesterday.  Rebooted today and the vm is sluggish and not useable once again.  I am running the exact clone on my Macbook and have no problems whatsoever.  Both machines have nearly identical software load and both were upgrades of Yosemite GM.

The VM in question, however, was a clone of an existing windows machine originally used on Workstation prior to converting to Mac.  native fusion vm's are slow, but useable.

0 Kudos
renegad3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sampling of vmware-vmx doesnt seem to work, at least for me.

I did sample the Fusion process, and here is the result of that, though I dont know if it will help you much.

Sample for the -vmx is still running several minutes later...

Also see a few .diag from the 17th, but none after, not sure exactly what time I updated, but here is the most current one attached.

Also attached vmware-vmfusion.log

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Interesting... I've never heard of sample failing to complete... That's a new one to me.

If you move the mouse inside the VM and interact with the guest OS as usual (albeit slowly), does the sample eventually complete?

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
renegad3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

no. the sample window is open, the bar is pulsing as if it is doing something, but, its not doing anything.

been in and out of the guest several times, and back to host, nothing has happened.

Window is open maybe 1/2 hour now.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Weird.  Can you collect a Spin Dump from the host while it's in this state?

I think the sample will terminate itself if you shut down the VM... but then the sample output will probably be of no use at all.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos