VMware Cloud Community
DustinSnijders
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Change DNS setting in Network IP Pool

Hi,

Due to a migration of our DNS servers, I've to change the IP-addresses of the DNS servers defined in the (currently used) IP pools of our BDE server. There is a Hadoop cluster with a large amount of data running using this pool and I don't like to deploy the cluster again. Reboot the cluster is no issue, so I planned the DNS settings for the cluster-nodes should change after reboot. Unlikely I could not change DNS settings. Is there a (possibly non-elegant) way changing these parameters for the Pool?

Cheers,

Dustin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jessehuvmw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Dustin,

BDE doesn't provide interface to modify the DNS server of network added in BDE.  You have to modify the BDE database to make it.  Here is the solution :

1. Login BDE server as user serengeti

2. Execute this command :  echo "update network set dns1 = 'the_new_dns_server_ip' where name = 'the_network_name'; \q" | psql

3. Apply the new DNS server. There are two approach. You can choose any one.

a) Login BDE CLI and execute "cluster stop --name ..." and "cluster start --name ..." to reboot the VMs in the cluster, then the new DNS server will be applied.

b) On BDE Server, execute "serengeti-ssh.sh cluster_name "sudo sed -i 's|nameserver.*|nameserver the_new_dns_server_ip|g' /etc/resolv.conf". The new DNS server should take effect immediately.

Thanks for using BDE.

Jesse @BDE

Cheers, Jesse Hu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jessehuvmw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Dustin,

BDE doesn't provide interface to modify the DNS server of network added in BDE.  You have to modify the BDE database to make it.  Here is the solution :

1. Login BDE server as user serengeti

2. Execute this command :  echo "update network set dns1 = 'the_new_dns_server_ip' where name = 'the_network_name'; \q" | psql

3. Apply the new DNS server. There are two approach. You can choose any one.

a) Login BDE CLI and execute "cluster stop --name ..." and "cluster start --name ..." to reboot the VMs in the cluster, then the new DNS server will be applied.

b) On BDE Server, execute "serengeti-ssh.sh cluster_name "sudo sed -i 's|nameserver.*|nameserver the_new_dns_server_ip|g' /etc/resolv.conf". The new DNS server should take effect immediately.

Thanks for using BDE.

Jesse @BDE

Cheers, Jesse Hu
0 Kudos
DustinSnijders
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for the information. It solved our migration issue.

In addition (and quite logic): the second DNS server can be set using 'dns2' as variable in the same commandline.

Cheers,

Dustin

0 Kudos
jessehuvmw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Glad to hear it works for you. You're right that dns2 can be set like this :  echo "update network set dns1 = 'the_new_dns_server1_ip' and dns2 = 'the_new_dns_server2_ip' where name = 'the_network_name'; \q" | psql

Cheers, Jesse Hu
0 Kudos