VMware Communities
yannbizeul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did VMware removed support for AppleScript in Fusion 7 ?

None of my scripts are working now. Is that expected or will that be addressed in an update ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Did VMware removed support for AppleScript in Fusion 7 ?

Unfortunately yes! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

BTW...  The AppleScript Dictionary File "vmware.sdef" that's in "VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/" in VMware Fusion 6.x is the same that was in the two public VMware Fusion 2014 Tech Preview releases and was removed in the GA VMware Fusion 7.0 release.

Why it was removed I do not know however the point I wanted to make was if taking a copy of "vmware.sdef" from 6.x or the Tech Previews and placing it in "VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/" in the GA VMware Fusion 7.0 release would it work?

You might want to give that a try and see what happens.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

WoodyZ wrote: Why it was removed I do not know however the point I wanted to make was if taking a copy of "vmware.sdef" from 6.x or the Tech Previews and placing it in "VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/" in the GA VMware Fusion 7.0 release would it work?

You might want to give that a try and see what happens.

I just did a preliminary test and it worked against the code I used, that wouldn't without the "vmware.sdef" file, although the contents of the AppleScript might make a difference in some cases.   Can't really say since I didn't do in-depth testing.

0 Kudos
billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, Woody. So maybe a last minute cut to get Fusion 7 released? Hopefully, AppleScript support will be updated and added back to Fusion 7 in the next point release.

0 Kudos
yannbizeul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After doing this (but getting it from Fusion 6) it almost works.

Meaning some scripts are working but commands like :

set theList to documents where power state is powered on

Are not 😕 (returns empty result despite a VM is running)

I'll try with the sdef from the tech preview and I'll let you know.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

yannbizeul wrote: I'll try with the sdef from the tech preview and I'll let you know.

As I previously said, "The AppleScript Dictionary File "vmware.sdef" that's in "VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/" in VMware Fusion 6.x is the same that was in the two public VMware Fusion 2014 Tech Preview releases" so, it will not make any difference in this particular use case.  (I already ran diff against the different releases! Smiley Wink)

0 Kudos
clayj
Contributor
Contributor

Woody, please add one more to the list of people who wish that VMware would restore the AppleScript functionality. I too use a script to make sure that all of my windows are in exact locations -- not being able to do this is inconvenient, especially when a window accidentally gets moved. Thanks!

0 Kudos
jimstrong
Contributor
Contributor

Please add me too!

I tried copying across the old vmware.sdef file from my old 6.x backup. My original script did not run (no error message), but a second script ran successfully one time, but then stalled with no error message.

Script 1) (not working)

tell application "VMware Fusion"

activate

set c to "Windows 8 x 32 (was XP Home Edition VLS Product Key)"

set thiswinID to (get id of item 1 of (get every window whose name contains c))

set index of window id thiswinID to 1

end tell

Script 2) (works once, then stalls)

tell application "VMware Fusion"

activate

tell application "System Events"

tell process "VMware Fusion"

click menu item "Windows 8 x 32 (was XP Home Edition VLS Product Key)" of menu "Window" of menu bar 1

end tell

end tell

end tell

Jim

0 Kudos
jimstrong
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, Script 2) does work, but only when the VMWare menu is open in the menu bar in whatever window I run the script from.

So - really kludgy - I added "repeat 3 times" (twice didn't work) until I can get it more elegantly addressed!!

Jim (a non-Applescripter!)

0 Kudos
billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same with Fusion 7.0.1, but manually adding the vmware.sdef file works. I hope VMware fixes this soon.

0 Kudos