1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2014 2:03 AM by JoergD

Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI

sumitanand Novice

Hello Team,

I have started working with EXSI and successfully completed backup and restoring of VM through ghettoVCB.

But i have stuck over  one place......

situation is something like :

1. if esxi got crashed then how to quickly recover new esxi ?

2. and if the new exsi is created then how to deploy the backup of vm over new exsi ?

Team please provide the guidance  regarding this situation........

Thanks

• 1. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
          Phatsta Enthusiast

Well, the beauty about making full VM backups is that you can run them from any esxi box on the LAN as long as the connection is fast enough. For example I usually back up the VM's to a NAS that's on a gigabit connection. If I need to start up a backup all I do is add the NFS storage to the esxi box, explore the storage and right-click the backed up VM and hit "add to inventory". Then I can simply start the VM from where it resides, until you later on can fully restore it. Sure, it's kind of slow but it'll save you hours in a time where time usually is of the utmost importance.

So I would answer both your questions; Fix the problem on your box first, then start the old esxi os or reinstall. Then either restore the VM or run it directly and restore it later. Or grab another computer, install esxi and do the same.

• 2. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
            sumitanand Novice

1. hmm. i got you but problem is i want to create a fully disaster recovery in that case i want to take config backup of exsi also, is it possible to take backup of running backup as well vm  in same time ?

2. and in other situation is it possible to get the image of running exsi or fully running config of exsi so that i recover new exsi with image/snapshot and deploy my vm which i have already backed-up with ghettovcb ?

• 3. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
              Phatsta Enthusiast

1. Not with ghettoVCB, no. You'd have to do some sort of disk cloning backup or something along those lines. But really, it would be much, much faster just to reinstall in case of need. You might also be able to grab the config files manually from esxi and replace them in a newly installed esxi, not sure. But the settings that need to be changed from default are really not that time consuming.

2. Like I said, not with ghettoVCB. It's for backing up VM's only. And I would still recommend a fresh install, change a few settings from default and restore vm's. All in all it takes about 30 mins to get it done so I don't see the need for a backup of esxi.

Thing is, there's not a whole lot that changes from one esxi to another. The OS is pretty static. The few non-default changes are so fast and easy to do that it's not worth the hassle of backing it up.

If you want to have a really fast solution in case of a harddrive failure (which rarely happens to the OS drive since there's not anlot of I/O's), clone the install to another harddrive and have it lay around in case of emergency. That way you'll have a working backup of the esxi OS. Way overkill, but if that's what you want

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
                sumitanand Novice

are we able to make a clone or image of exsi ?

• 5. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
                  wila Guru
                  Community WarriorsvExpertUser Moderators

Hi sumitanand,

Is it technically possible to clone the boot partitions of ESXi? Maybe you can, but you never should do that.

As Phatsta already mentioned installing a new host is done in a very short time (depending on your hardware that can be minutes)

In addition you can indeed make a backup boot disk (or just install to USB and do that 2 times to different USB sticks) however...

What if your host completely died? You get a new server with different hardware.. and different vendor specific drivers? Your cloned image might not work that great then.

Besides that, using a cloned image of ESXi is completely unsupported.

If you want to backup the ESXi host configuration use something like this:

PowerCLI: ESXi 5.0 / ESXi 5.1 Host Backup & Restore GUI Utility - VI-Toolkit

and then apply that to your freshly installed ESXi host.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Desktop Products
                  | Vimalin : Automated backups for VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation Professional
                  | More info at https://www.vimalin.com
                  | Twitter @wilva
                  | VMware Wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com
                  • 6. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
                    scowse Enthusiast

Every time I do an ESXi upgrade I clone the USB drive for rollback purposes.

After a successful upgrade I clone again - hey! USB drives are so cheap - I just go and get another from the stationery cupboard.

So now I have two spare USB sticks taped to the side of my server for disaster recovery purposes.

My favourite USB drive cloning software is RMPREPUSB

You can also generate and backup the ESXi config settings with esxcfg-cfgbackup.pl

p.s. Contrary to some of the views expressed above, it is not so quick and easy to create a new ESXi instance when there are 130 VMs residing there!

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
                      sumitanand Novice

ok.... yes u r right hardware configuration will be different.

it means ghettoVCB backup is only backup of VM, and this backup is not dependent upon exsi hardware or configuration.....right ?

because i never try to backup VM in different esxi....thats y i have question.

• 8. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
                        wila Guru
                        vExpertUser ModeratorsCommunity Warriors

Hi sumitanand,

The hardware itself is invisible from a VM point of view and is not a big issue when restoring. There are things like network name that you might have to set to the correct one if you have changed the default name.

For connecting to an NFS server, see 2nd part on this page: http://planetvm.net/blog/?p=719

Yes that's for ESX, but it is pretty much the same for ESXi

--

Wil

| Vimalin : Automated backups for VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation Professional
                        | Twitter @wilva
                        • 9. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
                          sumitanand Novice

thanks for your help.

but when talking about hardware configuration....in that case i have all the servers are same config and specification so i think creating a backup of only esxi config help me to be in safe zone at the time of disaster.

for VM i have done successful test with ghettoVCB.

**** now only want to create backup of esxi server........not VM...****

so do u have any idea about it....?

• 10. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
                            wila Guru
                            Community WarriorsUser ModeratorsvExpert

Hello,

As mentioned before, you normally do not backup an ESXi server, it has no software installed by a user on there, I'm not sure how else to say it, but let's try. It is like firmware (actually VMware calls vSphere ESXi firmware). Do you backup firmware on -say- a switch?

The answer I can give. No do you do not, you flash new firmware onto the switch if you need to do so.

You might however save the firmware configuration and there have already been posted a few suggestions on how-to backup the firmware configuration.

I understand the question, been there myself, but it makes little sense to backup firmware.

If you insist on running a backup, then use the USB method as also has been pointed out.

--

Wil

| Twitter @wilva
                            • 11. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
                              sumitanand Novice

Hi,

Again m back with new prblem

actually while m configuring my ghettovcb with email alert i got message : check your firewall configuration and enable it.

i have done with this configuration in firewall :

<ConfigRoot>

<service>

<id>email</id>

<rule id="0000">

<direction>outbound</direction>

<protocol>tcp</protocol>

<porttype>dst</porttype>

<port>25</port>

</rule>

<enabled>true</enabled>

<required>false</required>

</service>

</ConfigRoot>

it works and the error message are not coming..... but the problem is i cant able to get the status of my backup over mail. 

# may be somewhere m lacking... situation is i want to be notified over mail :   " ghetto backup status" its failed or successful.

help me to setup email alert..

• 12. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
                                JoergD Novice

My firewall configuration file  looks like this:

<ConfigRoot>

<service id='1001'>

<id>SMTP_Outbound</id>

<rule>

<direction>outbound</direction>

<protocol>tcp</protocol>

<porttype>dst</porttype>

<port>25</port>

</rule>

<enabled>true</enabled>

<required>false</required>

</service>

</ConfigRoot>

Your syntax is different to my but my work fine.

Do you know that this configuration file is deleted after an ESX reboot?

Look here: ghettoVCB.sh - email

• 13. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
                                  JoergD Novice

You should look into this discussionghettoVCB.sh - email

The script /etc/rc.local.d/local.sh is untouched after reboot and will run after reboot automatically.

You can expand the script /etc/rc.local.d/local.sh and so you can create your own firewall configuration file dynamicly (after a esx start).

• 14. Re: Disaster recovery with Ghettovcb over EXSI
                                    sumitanand Novice

i have followed ghettoVCB.sh - Free alternative for backing up VM's for ESX(i) 3.5, 4.x & 5.x configured my mail setting over ghetto and esxi but still m failed to get notified............ do u guys have any idea about any more changes..  ?

1 2 Previous Next