VMware Horizon Community
JPM300
Commander
Commander

VM linked clones better to use snapshot or template?

Hello all,

Just curious when your setting up a linked clone which is better to use, a snapshot or a template?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Linked clones are based on and can only use snapshots. 

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Thanks for the quick reply.  The setup in the pool section kinda lead me to belive either was possible.  Thanks for clearing it up as I was currently setting it up with a snapshot.

Also this may be a silly question but why is the View Agent required in the VM golden image / template and also on the zero clients to connect to the desktop.  I would of thought the agent would go into the VM golden image and the client would be used to connect, or is everything just wrapped up in the agent now?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The agent is required on the template (Full desktops) or parent image (snapshot and linked clones).    The zero clients typically don't have anything installed because they have a built in client.    Other machines used to connect to the VM would have client installed too but no agent.  I don't technically think it will allow you to install an agent and client on the same machine.

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

The only way to get the client is to pull it off your connection server correct?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You can get the client from the connection broker or from the VMware site.  I think in the new versions by default it just points you to the VMware site to download the client.    There is a section in the Admin guide about how to change that if you need to point it somewhere local.

0 Kudos