VMware Cloud Community
JonTheFalcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error: Could not load multiboot modules: Already exists

I have tried searching for this error and cannot find any other instance of this error online.

When my computer is booting and starting up ESXi, I get the pink screen with the message: "Could not load multiboot modules: Already exists"

This started after installing a used hard drive into my tower and getting it formatted and ready to be used as another datastore.

I did not assign anything to the new datastore or use the new drive yet, when the drive started clicking.

I shutdown my tower and removed the faulty drive and now I get this error message when I boot it up.

I have a feeling this has to be easily fixed, I just don't know where to start as I'm still new to Vmware.

Let me know if there's any info you need to help troubleshoot.

VMware ESXi 5.5.0

AMD FX-8350 Eight-core processor

16GB Memory

Jon

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gprentice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It sounds like the boot image is corrupted.  You could always reinstall ESXi and leave the datastore intact.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gprentice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It sounds like the boot image is corrupted.  You could always reinstall ESXi and leave the datastore intact.

0 Kudos
JonTheFalcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will try that. I will let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

have a look  to sysboot.log and vmkernel.log located in /var/log directory or post it contents...

or collect core dump from host and extract its contents to readable file and attach it to your answer:

VMware KB: Extracting the log file after an ESX or ESXi host fails with a purple screen error

Please post more info about your hardware configuration.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
JonTheFalcon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just received the same exact error.

When I googled it, I found this post which I had forgotten I made back in Sept.

Back then I reinstalled ESXi to get around the error and reconnected to my VMs in the datastore.

This time, I did the exact same thing.

FYI the cause both times was a power outage and the server being shutdown poorly, thereby corrupting the boot image.

Thanks

0 Kudos
KWKirchner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I rebooted, did a <Shift+R> at the boot loader screen to revert to the previous image. This rolled me back one update, but the system booted fine and it was much easier to apply a patch than re-install.

Of course you have to have something to revert to, so this won't work on a fresh install.