13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 10:45 AM by owells

Fusion 7 released

wila Guru
    vExpertUser ModeratorsCommunity Warriors

Hi,

Just as a FYI, for people following the Fusion Tech Preview forum.

Seems that Fusion 7 has been released yesterday:

Run Windows for Mac with Virtualization: Try VMware Fusion Free | United States

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Desktop Products
      | Vimalin : Automated backups for VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation Professional
      | More info at https://www.vimalin.com
      | Twitter @wilva
      | VMware Wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com
        • 1. Re: Fusion 7 released
          mnahum Enthusiast

Hi,

This is a good news.

Any "discount code" available  for the beta testers?

• 2. Re: Fusion 7 released
            frankhsueh Novice

I don't see a trial license key available for Fusion 7 Pro anywhere on the site. Where can I get a trial license key?

• 3. Re: Fusion 7 released
              andyfuchs Lurker

I just downloaded the fresh Fusion7 PRO trial, but can't run it - it says 'Evaluation period expired.

- It was my first download of Fusion7 pro

It replaced my Fusion6 fully licensed version - now I'm hosed...

• 4. Re: Fusion 7 released
                frankhsueh Novice

I was in the same situation... good thing I have my Fusion 6 image and license backed up so I reinstalled it.

This is typical VMware... never get things right the first time.

• 5. Re: Fusion 7 released
                  frankhsueh Novice

So I tried fresh install on Yosemite, and it gave the options of entering license key or try either versions.

If you already have Fusion 6 installed, try to uninstall it and do a fresh install of Fusion 7.

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 05.59.50.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 06.00.00.png

• 6. Re: Fusion 7 released
                    wadam1230 Lurker

VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2014   the trial key here worked for me

• 7. Re: Fusion 7 released
                      frankhsueh Novice

Thanks!

It really should not have been this difficult to do a trial...

• 8. Re: Fusion 7 released
                        andyfuchs Lurker

thx @wadam1230!

That works!

It's a shame, that VMWare doesn't get these things sorted out...

Did you compare Fusion 6 to Fusion 7? I don't see big differences... (which leaves me unsure, to spend another 60$ after 5 months of Fusion 6)

• 9. Re: Fusion 7 released
                          vmfanboy Novice

I just upgrade from Fusion 6 Pro to 7 Pro and I see a good increase in interface speed in Yosemite beta 2, not as speedy as i which but better than with Fusion 6 Pro. I have a MacBook Pro 15 2012. In Fusion 7 Pro for my Yosemite VM I upgrade to (now available) OSX 10.10, hardware to version 11 and the vmtools. Still seem slow to boot but interface is definetly faster.

• 10. Re: Fusion 7 released
                            frankhsueh Novice

Interface is faster, but being able to access my VMs on ESXi alone is worth upgrading to Fusion 7 Professional.

• 11. Re: Fusion 7 released
                              sdsmpie Novice

i do like vmWare Fusion...

But just yesterday a colleague of mine argued that VirtualBox would perform better ?  what are you saying ???

But like other folks here in the forum i don't know if i want to upgrade and pay 60$ after 5 / 6 months of Fusion 6 !!

Come on Vmware how about one of those nice 35% coupons ...in my life time as a i't happend to me once

So i'm hoping for a second time in my life time hahahaha

• 12. Re: Fusion 7 released
                                sdsmpie Novice

Hi guys,

i'm thinking of skiping this release..paying €60 every half year is not worth it i think..

i Do appreciate the development of Vmware..but in my humble opinion and use case ..

I'm ok with version 6 for now..

As a Linix admin/student i have two major needs concerning virtualisation..

- do quick test , nothing major little things with web servers or mail servers and so on.. (runs ok under V6 and even VirtualBox)

- do major clustering tests Multi virtual systems and so on..

So if Vmware doesn't provide us  long time users with a nice coupon every now and then ;-)

i'l guess i have to investigate a second option for my more complex needs..

One could buy a 512Gb SSD "M100" and just dual /tripple boot for the more heavy use cases..

The M100 costs €180 ..having done two upgrades of Vmware Fusion Pro and i'm almost there..

Once in my second environment i could use Linux Virtualization this also helps in furthering my knowledge of other Virt software..

Also taking my Macbook all over the place and starting up Vmware Fusion is a Promo in it self hahaha !!!

i don't know how manny both vmware fusion after seeing what if being doing with it... hahahha

Take care all..

• 13. Re: Fusion 7 released
                                  owells Novice

The user interface is dramatically faster than the July 2014 Technology Preview. It also seemed to give me all the evaluation time I had left on the technology preview instead of just 30 days.