3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2014 7:56 PM by WoodyZ

Question dialog from ESXi server causes Fusion to hang

jontrott Novice

I have a Yosemite VM running on my Mac Pro ESXi host which since DP6 has started prompting when booting up:

"Your MAC OS guest might run unreliably with more than one virtual core." with the buttons "Continue" and "Power Off".

This is not an issue of itself as Yosemite is pre-release, but the problem is that Fusion will hang when this dialog is displayed. The only way to get the VM running properly is to connect using the vSphere client and select Continue on the VM.

• 1. Re: Question dialog from ESXi server causes Fusion to hang
          WoodyZ Guru

I noticed in the "Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 11.05.48 .png" in the upper left hand corner it shows...

OS X 10.10

Apple Mac OS X 10-7 (64-bit)

On mine it shows...

OS X 10.10 Beta

OS X 10.10

It's the second line in question, why are you running 10.10 as though it's 10.7 instead of as 10.10?  That may have something to do with it since you're not running the installed OS as the properly designated OS.

BTW What version of VMware Fusion are you running e.x.p (1943533), which is the VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2014 July?

• 2. Re: Question dialog from ESXi server causes Fusion to hang
            jontrott Novice

When I create a new machine on ESXi 5.5.0 1623387 I get the option of creating a 10.7 or a 10.6 VM, there are no 10.8 or 10.9 or even 10.10 options.

I'm sure that not having the machine as a 10.10 machine has everything to do with why the error message is raised. My issue however, is not with the error message, but rather with Fusion locking up while trying to press a dialog button to acknowledge the error message.

I'm guessing if you have a local machine in Fusion you can indeed select 10.10 as an option.

The original error message was related to controlling an ESXi server however, as specified in the subject line.

I'm running Professional Version e.x.p (1943533).

• 3. Re: Question dialog from ESXi server causes Fusion to hang
              WoodyZ Guru

OS X 10.10 is not officially supported under ESXi 5.5 and having an installed OS not properly set can in some cases cause issues.  10.10 has issues under VMware Fusion 6 that are resolved under the Tech Preview.  So running under ESXi 5.5 could be part of the issue.

That said, you'll have t wait till someone, either another user or VMware employee, with the same/similar setup as you can investigate the issue