VMware Communities
DKP10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Suppot for RHEL 7?

I've got VMWare Player 6.0.3 installed on a Windows 7 64-bit system.  I tried to create a VM using RHEL 7 64-bit from an iso, but it says it can't detect the guest operating system, and when I try to specify it, RHEL 7 doesn't show up in the list.  I selected RHEL 6 and tried to proceed hoping that it would get the info it needed from the iso, but when I tried to run I get the following error

This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.

This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.

Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.

(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'

(2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed.

(3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware Player.

(4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.

For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152.

Am I doing something wrong or is RHEL 7 just not supported on Player yet?  I've had RHEL 6 running for at least a couple of years now, so I figured RHEL 7 would be no problem.  Is there anything I can do, or do I just have to wait for a future release?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

RHEL 7 is supported and that's not the issue... the issue is explained in the message you've received and you've not done anything to address the message! Smiley Wink  You need to enable VT-x in the BIOS is you want to run a 64-bit Guest OS!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

RHEL 7 is supported and that's not the issue... the issue is explained in the message you've received and you've not done anything to address the message! Smiley Wink  You need to enable VT-x in the BIOS is you want to run a 64-bit Guest OS!

0 Kudos
DKP10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Touche.  Sorry to be so dense, I'd just never heard of VT-x and had no idea how to enable it.  A little web search cleared that up.  Thanks.

So, should I be concerned w/ the fact that RHEL 7 didn't show up in the supported list of guest operating systems?  Is the fact that I had to select RHEL 6 as the guest operating system, even though I installed RHEL 7, going to be a problem going forward (i.e. is it always going to think it's running 6 instead of 7 or something)?

0 Kudos
goodface
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

update.. we are waiting answer

0 Kudos