13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 8:23 PM by ant

Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions

ant Hot Shot

Hello.

I need to test softwares in the (lat/new)est Mac OS X 10.10 prerelease builds soon as guest VMs. I read that VMware Fusion v6.0.4 Pro has issues which I am not surprised. I read it is slow and buggy in this forum. Someone told me about Technology Preview 2014, but will it help these issues? 10.10 is really slow. I am using a Mac Mini, from mid-2011, with updated Mac OS X 10.7.5 (requires 10.8 or is that only for preview?).

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
          dlhotka Virtuoso

Any OSX virtualization solution will have issues with 10.10, as it's still in beta.  Keep in mind that none of them have 3d acceleration, and there's quite a bit in 10.10 that requires it, and simply won't work.  If you need a reliable test platform, your best bet is to dual boot to an external drive with 10.10 installed on it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
            ant Hot Shot

dlhotka wrote:

Any OSX virtualization solution will have issues with 10.10, as it's still in beta.  Keep in mind that none of them have 3d acceleration, and there's quite a bit in 10.10 that requires it, and simply won't work.  If you need a reliable test platform, your best bet is to dual boot to an external drive with 10.10 installed on it.

Thanks. So this preview technology version will not make 10.10 guest VMs faster. Bummer.

• 3. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
              dlhotka Virtuoso

Nope, and because it has debugging turned on it may slow down the system a bit.

To run a 10.10 guest the host needs to have at least 2 cores and 2GB of RAM.  Which means the host machine will need to have 4 cores (there aren't any 3-core machines), and 8GB to avoid competition for resources.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
                ant Hot Shot

dlhotka wrote:

Nope, and because it has debugging turned on it may slow down the system a bit.

To run a 10.10 guest the host needs to have at least 2 cores and 2GB of RAM.  Which means the host machine will need to have 4 cores (there aren't any 3-core machines), and 8GB to avoid competition for resources.

Is there a way to disable Apple's debugging?

Yeah, I already the guest half of my Mac Mini's 16 GB of RAM and dual cores. It is still slow.

• 5. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
                  WoodyZ Guru

ant wrote: Is there a way to disable Apple's debugging?

The debugging is being done at the VMware Fusion level and while it can technically be run without debugging one of the purposes of the Tech Preview is for User participation in its use is to provide VMware with the logs as needed/requested with issues found during the preview process to improve the product and therefore I'll not disclose how to disable debugging.

• 6. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
                    ant Hot Shot

WoodyZ wrote:

ant wrote: Is there a way to disable Apple's debugging?

The debugging is being done at the VMware Fusion level and while it can technically be run without debugging one of the purposes of the Tech Preview is for User participation in its use is to provide VMware with the logs as needed/requested with issues found during the preview process to improve the product and therefore I'll not disclose how to disable debugging.

Oh,VMware Fusion Tech Preview also does debugging? Hmm. I guess I won't bother since that would make 10.10 even slower.

• 7. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
                      ant Hot Shot

Does 10.10 guest run well and fast in v7.0 Fusion?

• 8. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
                        dlhotka Virtuoso

As I noted above, any virtualization solution has performance and feature limitations because there is no way to provide accelerated graphics support to a 10.10 guest.  That being said, 10.10 runs as well under Fusion as it can (both because it's still in beta, and because of that limitation).

• 9. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
                          ant Hot Shot

dlhotka wrote:

As I noted above, any virtualization solution has performance and feature limitations because there is no way to provide accelerated graphics support to a 10.10 guest.  That being said, 10.10 runs as well under Fusion as it can (both because it's still in beta, and because of that limitation).

So, 10.10 guest will be slow as in v6.0.4. I think I will delay my v7 upgrade then until it improves. I noticed v7 requires 10.8.x on the host so I need to upgrade it.

• 10. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
                            dlhotka Virtuoso

You should upgrade to 10.9 - 10.8 will drop out of support when 10.10 is released (10.7 is already out of support).  Both 10.8 and 10.9 require more RAM (8GB is the minimum I recommend).  You'll need at least a 4-core machine to run a VM (since 10.10 VM's need to have 2 cores assigned, and you always have to leave at least one for the host).

But even with that, OSX VM's are always a bit touchy.  I use them for very specific purposes, and if I need good performance, I dual boot into a native OS install.

• 11. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
                              ant Hot Shot

dlhotka wrote:

You should upgrade to 10.9 - 10.8 will drop out of support when 10.10 is released (10.7 is already out of support).  Both 10.8 and 10.9 require more RAM (8GB is the minimum I recommend).  You'll need at least a 4-core machine to run a VM (since 10.10 VM's need to have 2 cores assigned, and you always have to leave at least one for the host).

But even with that, OSX VM's are always a bit touchy.  I use them for very specific purposes, and if I need good performance, I dual boot into a native OS install.

Hmm, I got updates for Mac OS X 10.7.4(?) a few weeks ago.

• 12. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
                                WoodyZ Guru

Yes, there was Security Update 2014-003 (Lion) on Jun 30, 2014 so to say Lion is no longer supported might be consider an erroneous statement (although that may be the last update made for Lion?) however I suspect he might have been referring to minor point release updates which typically stop occurring shortly after the next major point release upgrade.  In that context even Mountain Lion, which hasn't had a minor point release update since the Mavericks GA release, could be considered no longer supported.  Although, it too received Security Update 2014-003 (MountainLion) on Jun 30, 2014.

• 13. Re: Mac OS X 10.10 newbie questions
                                  ant Hot Shot

WoodyZ wrote:

Yes, there was Security Update 2014-003 (Lion) on Jun 30, 2014 so to say Lion is no longer supported might be consider an erroneous statement (although that may be the last update made for Lion?) however I suspect he might have been referring to minor point release updates which typically stop occurring shortly after the next major point release upgrade.  In that context even Mountain Lion, which hasn't had a minor point release update since the Mavericks GA release, could be considered no longer supported.  Although, it too received Security Update 2014-003 (MountainLion) on Jun 30, 2014.

Yeah, I think that's the update. Also, I got Safari and iTunes IIRC too.