VMware Cloud Community
airinaga
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Retrieve snapshots of all VM's

Has anyone tried this? And or have been successful? Simply trying to retrieve all snapshots of VM's and generate a list.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

you can use simply RVtools to findout the snapshots and snapshot vm. and aslo you can use power cli as below $myVMs = Get-VM $VMsWithSnaps = @() foreach ($vm in $myVMs) {     $vmView = $vm | Get-View     if ($vmView.snapshot -ne $null) {         Write-Host "VM $vm has a snapshot"         $SnapshotEvents = Get-VIEvent -Entity $vm -type info -MaxSamples 1000 | Where {             $_.FullFormattedMessage.contains("Create virtual machine snapshot")}         try {         $user = $SnapshotEvents[0].UserName         $time = $SnapshotEvents[0].CreatedTime         } catch [System.Exception] {             $user = $SnapshotEvents.UserName             $time = $SnapshotEvents.CreatedTime         }         $VMInfo = “” | Select "VM","CreationDate","User"         $VMInfo."VM" = $vm.Name         $VMInfo."CreationDate" = $time         $VMInfo."User" = $user         $VMsWithSnaps += $VMInfo     } } $VMsWithSnaps | Sort CreationDate

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

you can use simply RVtools to findout the snapshots and snapshot vm. and aslo you can use power cli as below $myVMs = Get-VM $VMsWithSnaps = @() foreach ($vm in $myVMs) {     $vmView = $vm | Get-View     if ($vmView.snapshot -ne $null) {         Write-Host "VM $vm has a snapshot"         $SnapshotEvents = Get-VIEvent -Entity $vm -type info -MaxSamples 1000 | Where {             $_.FullFormattedMessage.contains("Create virtual machine snapshot")}         try {         $user = $SnapshotEvents[0].UserName         $time = $SnapshotEvents[0].CreatedTime         } catch [System.Exception] {             $user = $SnapshotEvents.UserName             $time = $SnapshotEvents.CreatedTime         }         $VMInfo = “” | Select "VM","CreationDate","User"         $VMInfo."VM" = $vm.Name         $VMInfo."CreationDate" = $time         $VMInfo."User" = $user         $VMsWithSnaps += $VMInfo     } } $VMsWithSnaps | Sort CreationDate

0 Kudos
airinaga
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to send a generic email every time a snapshot is created to a designated email address, specifying the username of who created the snapshot and the VM the snapshot was created on?

Thanks for all the help so far.

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have a powershell script that emails me daily each VM that has a snapshot and the snapshot name. It integrates with powerCLI.

I use it to clean up stale/obsolete snapshots other admins forget about.

Get-VM | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Name | Out-File "C:\scripts\VMList.txt"

Get-Snapshot -VM (Get-Content C:\scripts\VMList.txt) | Select-Object VM,Name | Format-List | Out-file C:\scripts\ssmail.txt

airinaga
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome! that is exactly what I'm trying to do. Please excuse my inexperience with powerCLI as I am just figuring out how all of this works.

Is this how you are sending the report to yourself?

$Report = Get-VM | Sort-Object -Property Name | Out-String

Send-MailMessage -from $MailSender -to "you@yourdomain.com" -subject "Sending the vSphere report" -body $Report -smtpServer $MailSmtpServer

Thanks for all the help!

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Take the time to learn some basic powershell. PowerCLI is just powershell commands for VMware. Just an added module with a bunch of cmdlets.

Send-MailMessage -To "email@domain.com" -From "Noreply@domain.com" -SmtpServer "IP address of email server or DNS name" - Subject "Snapshot Report" -Attachments C:\scripts\ssmail.txt

warring
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

get-vm | get-snapshot | select name,vm,sizemb

VCP510-DCV
0 Kudos
Burke-
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is the Orchestrator community right? Here, did you see this thread - and package I provided?

List all snapshots wth orchestator with

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vRealize Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @TechnicalValues on Twitter
0 Kudos
airinaga
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey there, Thanks for all the help so far. This is what I have for my snapshot report:

$myVMs = Get-VM

$VMsWithSnaps = @()

foreach ($vm in $myVMs) {

$vmView = $vm | Get-View

if ($vmView.snapshot -ne $null) {

Write-Host "VM $vm has a snapshot"

$SnapshotEvents = Get-VIEvent -Entity $vm -type info -MaxSamples 1000 | Where {

$_.FullFormattedMessage.contains("Create virtual machine snapshot")}

try {

$user = $SnapshotEvents[0].UserName

$time = $SnapshotEvents[0].CreatedTime

} catch [System.Exception] {

$user = $SnapshotEvents.UserName

$time = $SnapshotEvents.CreatedTime

}

$VMInfo = “” | Select "VM","CreationDate","User"

$VMInfo."VM" = $vm.Name

$VMInfo."CreationDate" = $time

$VMInfo."User" = $user

$VMsWithSnaps += $VMInfo

Get-VM | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Name | Out-File "C:\scripts\VMList.txt"

Get-Snapshot -VM (Get-Content C:\scripts\VMList.txt) | Select-Object VM,Name,Created,$user | Format-List | Out-file C:\scripts\ssmail.txt

}

}

$VMsWithSnaps | Sort CreationDate

This is my ssmail.txt output:

VM          : Lab-vCO VM
Name        : test
Created     : 8/7/2014 2:01:38 PM

Adam:

Name        : test1
Created     : 8/11/2014 1:18:39 PM

Adam:

Name        : test2
Created     : 8/12/2014 9:38:36 AM

Adam:

VM          : Test VM
Name        : test
Created     : 8/13/2014 9:49:42 AM

Adam:

It seems that the last person to create a snapshot will have their username populated with every snapshot output. For example: It say's "Adam" created all the snapshots, when this is not true, any suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ChrZi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for pushing up that article again...

In the past I was very happy with the Snapshot Reminder from http://virtu-al.net/

But now as I need some exclusions in the reminder script, I did find the script of Steve Schofield which also uses the "function GetSnapList"

As Backup makes a Snapshot for VBA every day, this function does not display the "REAL" Snapshot creation date (still old snapshot active) and not the Real User.

It displays the date of yesterday and the backupuser. Unusable! Any suggestions? Did you find a fix for this issue?

0 Kudos
pedro2022
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I get the following error when I run the command from powershell:

virtualMwsnapshots.ps1:1 char:50

+ $myVMs = Get-VM $VMsWithSnaps = @() foreach ($vm in $myVMs) {     $vm ...

+                                                  ~~

Unexpected token 'in' in expression or statement.

At C:\users\*******\desktop\virtualMwsnapshots.ps1:1 char:49

+                                                 ~

Missing closing ')' in expression.

At C:\users\********\desktop\virtualMwsnapshots.ps1:1 char:59

+                                                           ~

Unexpected token ')' in expression or statement.

At C:\users\*******\desktop\virtualMwsnapshots.ps1:1 char:408

+ ... y {         $user = $SnapshotEvents[0].UserName         $time = $Snap ...

+                                                             ~~~~~

Unexpected token '$time' in expression or statement.

At C:\users\*******\desktop\virtualMwsnapshots.ps1:1 char:541

+ ...            $user = $SnapshotEvents.UserName             $time = $Snap ...

+                                                             ~~~~~

Unexpected token '$time' in expression or statement.

At C:\users\******\desktop\virtualMwsnapshots.ps1:1 char:791

+ ...  $user         $VMsWithSnaps += $VMInfo     } } $VMsWithSnaps | Sort  ...

+                                                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unexpected token '$VMsWithSnaps' in expression or statement.

+ CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParseException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnexpectedToken

0 Kudos