VMware Communities
dazzzagil
Contributor
Contributor

Sound Problems in Guest OS win 95

Set up VM player to run windows 95.

However I cannot get any sound out of it.

Checked and the sound card is connected in settings removed and added it again still no joy.

Tried using creative labs driver for SoundBlaster PCI128 and this causes is BSOD:smileyshocked: on the VM and I have to go into safe mode and remove drivers.

Saw  a KB article about workstation that said following an upgrade to v10  it cannot run the soundblaster drivers and you had to revert back to a old version of workstation.

does this mean that I've got to find an older version of VMplayer or is there a way to get sound out of this vm model

Host system is windows 8.1

Thanks for any help that can be given

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you read Installing sound drivers in Windows 95 (1025639), the gist of it is... it will not work in any VM that has a virtual hardware version greater then 4.

In other words the .vmx configuration file option virtualHW.version needs to be virtualHW.version = "4" not virtualHW.version = "10" which is the default created in VMware Player 6.x.

That said however you cannot just change 10 to 4 as there are may other differences between a VM created as a version 4 for virtual hardware and 10 for virtual hardware and why if originally created as a 10 you need to use Change Hardware Compatibility as directed in the KB Article.

This cannot be done in VMware Player although one could manually edit the .vmx configuration file.

Aside from changing 10 to 4 the following lines should be deleted.

Any line starting with pciBridge or ending with pciSlotNumber.

gui.exitOnCLIHLT

hpet0.present

vmci0.present

vmci0.id

Change monitor.phys_bits_used from 40 to 36.

These changes are what's different between an initialized Windows 95 VM with default settings between the two hardware versions.

For your convenience I've attach an uninitialized Windows 95 VM with default settings for virtual hardware version 4 created in VMware Workstation.  

0 Kudos