VMware Cloud Community
vintera
Contributor
Contributor

Host profiles and storage adapter device vmhba's

Hello together

We are trying to implement host profiles for each server type within our clusters.

Unfortunately we realised that some of our servers have different vmhba numbers for the same device (we are using iSCSI Software adapter).

Example:

NameDeviceType
Server Avmhba39iSCSI
Server Bvmhba39iSCSI
Server Cvmhba40iSCSI
Server Dvmhba41iSCSI

This is where we are facing the problem, that we are unable to adapt the storage adapter because of a different numbering.

How can we change this specific number?

I don t find any entries according these device aliases in /etc/vmware/esx.conf.

Please help Smiley Sad

Best Regards

beni

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JPM300
Commander
Commander

What happens if you adjust the number in the host profiles?  Does it take?

0 Kudos
vintera
Contributor
Contributor

the thing is that we don't want to create a single host profile for each host server

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

You shouldn't need to.  You should just be able to adjust your awnser file.  If you apply the host profile to it a host now, when it prompts you for awnsers to the items like the hba, ip address, ect can you change it then?

0 Kudos
vintera
Contributor
Contributor

maybe i missunderstand how this system should work

We created a hostprofile (cloned from a reference server)

then we added / excluded some of the profile information

But the big problem is, that the vmhba identification (vmhba number) must be set with a fix vhmba number... therefore I am unable to adjust the answer file 😕

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

You can also create a host profile from scratch, however it takes waaaaaay LONGER and I've never seen it done.  Most people just hack one of the other host profiles to get it where they need it.

Typically the vmhba number is decided by the PCI bus scan, and created as it is seen.  This is why some hosts get a different HBA number then others.  However it is odd that all your current servers have a different number as typically I see some change but most stick to a specific number if they are all the same vendor / config.

http://www.virten.net/2012/09/esxi-change-vmnic-vmhba-numbering/

There is this article on how to change it but its not supported by Vmware.

Is there an issue with having them have different HBA numbers? or is it just preference

0 Kudos
vintera
Contributor
Contributor

I know this article  already Smiley Happy

As mentioned  there are no entries for PCI devices in /etc/vmware/esxi.conf. there are several configuration entries and you are able to change the binding between the nic and the nic alias but so far not the pci adapter.

Yes it is a big problem because all configuration according to the iscsi adapter are bound to a specific vmhba number

pastedImage_1.png

As long i am not able to change the vmhba number i am not able to add important informations like how the esxi host should communicate with the storage array Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Hey vintera, thanks for the screenshot.

So let me ask another silly question.  When you say if you don't keep a specific HBA number/name you can't setup the proper communication with the storage array.  Why is this?  Your storage array should be connecting to the IQN number or the IP address if your using iSCSI.  If it is fibre it would be connecting with your WWN and WWPN number.  These numbers can all be changed in the host profile / anwnser file, so how is your storage connecting exactly?

The storage array shouldn't care what the HBA number is, it should just care what the IQN/IP address/WWN/WWPN number is depending on the adapter.  In your case it looks like iSCSi Software Iniator, so each host will get a IQN number unique to its self dispite the vmhba number.  It will also have a unquie ip address dispite the vmhba.

Let me know and we'll see if we can find a way around this to get it working for ya.

0 Kudos