VMware Cloud Community
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Proceedure to replace Vcenter server

One of my Virtual Center servers is having issues. I blue screened and was restarted with a bug check this early this past Monday morning and then locked up again and had to be powered off and back on. I'm considering replacing it with a new server as I suspect there is some type of corruption in the OS.

Can anyone point me to documentation for moving an existing installation to a new server? Single Sign On mode is multisite and the SQL database is local. The Vcenter build is 5.1 - 1473063 (update 2).

One other question. I would like to deploy a new server with the same name as a replacement on a different datastore.

Will renaming the current Vcenter server in Virtual Center cause any issues?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The key to moving a vCenter environment is being able to access the vCenter database - it is the cCenter database where all the information about your environment is stored - so if you do not have access to that or a back of it your will need to rebuild the environment -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I plan to restore the databases to the new server. I'm wondering if SSO will maintain it's configuration if I've restored the databases to the new server.

0 Kudos