12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2014 5:00 PM by dariusd

VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta

nwsnowboarder Novice

Installed Fusion Tech Preview on a late 2013 MBP running OS X 10.10 Beta.  When starting three of my VM's I get an error message "VMX file is corrupt"

I have attached the vmware.log file.

Thank you,

• 1. Re: VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta
          WoodyZ Guru

The vmware.log file is from the last successful run of that VM so by itself it's not the best for diagnostic value for the error message although a new .vmx configuration file can be created from it.  Is that what you're looking for?  If so...

The attached "Xastir-Hardy_090307.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Xastir-Hardy_090307.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Fusion closed, unzip (double-click) the downloaded attached "Xastir-Hardy_090307.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Xastir-Hardy_090307.vmx" file with the one here.

Otherwise attaching the support bundle created from VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > Collect Support Information command may be more useful to diagnose the issue.

• 2. Re: VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta
            nwsnowboarder Novice

Good Morning and thank you for your reply.  Xastir-Hardy is actually the only environment that runs correctly.

Attached is support bundle

• 3. Re: VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta
              WoodyZ Guru

Unfortunately the Support Bundle did not contain information from the Ubuntu, Windows NT and Windows XP Virtual Machines although the "/Users/snowboarder/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmfusion.log" shows the "VMX file is corrupt" message for them.  If there is a vmware.log file within the Virtual Machine Package for them then I can create new .vmx configuration files for them for you if you attach the vmware.log files to a reply.

To retrieve the vmware.log files, have a look at: Work with Virtual Machine Packages

• 4. Re: VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta
                nwsnowboarder Novice

Attached is the XP vmware log.  I haven't used NT and Ubuntu in ages so I'm not worried about them.

Once again thank you for your reply

Cheers,

Nick

• 5. Re: VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta
                  WoodyZ Guru

The attached "Windows_XP.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows XP.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Fusion closed, unzip (double-click) the downloaded attached "Windows_XP.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows XP.vmx" file with the one here.

• 6. Re: VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta
                    nwsnowboarder Novice

I replaced the file, but I still get the VMX file is corrupt.

I have attached a new support bundle.

Thank you

• 7. Re: VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta
                      WoodyZ Guru

Try the following in a Terminal.  Copy and paste into the Terminal the command below followed by a space.

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine

Now open the Windows XP Virtual Machine Package and drag and drop the "Windows XP.vmx" configuration file onto the Terminal window.  This populates the fully qualified pathname of the file on the command line.  Now click into the Terminal and press Enter.  This will remove the com.apple.quarantine extended attribute which might be causing a false corrupt message.

Now try running the Windows XP Virtual Machine.

• 8. Re: VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta
                        nwsnowboarder Novice

No problems with doing this in Terminal, but am still getting the corrupt message.  I of course performed your suggested actions without Fusion running.

Thank you

• 9. Re: VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta
                          WoodyZ Guru

At this point, the only other suggestion I have is since the Virtual Machine is suspended would be to do the following...

Open the Virtual Machine Package and delete the "Windows XP-78b4b964.vmss" file.  This is the Virtual Machine Suspended State File and deleting it is analogous to pulling the plug on a physical machine while it's running and anything not saved to disk when it was pulled (or in the case of the VM, suspended) will be lost.  Like an open Word document that wasn't yet saved to disk, etc. however I see no other option.

You might than also have to manually edit the .vmx configuration file and set the following line from...

checkpoint.vmState = "Windows XP-78b4b964.vmss"

To..,

checkpoint.vmState = ""

I've attached an edited .vmx configuration file for your convenience if you do not want to manually edit the file.

• 10. Re: VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta
                            nwsnowboarder Novice

Woody, thank you very much for working on this and your quick replies.  I removed the Windows XP-78b4b964.vmss but still get the error.

• 11. Re: VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta
                              WoodyZ Guru

At this point since you're using the Tech Preview and OS X 10.10 (Beta) hopefully someone from VMware will catch this thread and have more to offer.  The only other suggestion I have would be to create a new Windows XP Virtual Machine just to test and see if it will start up even without the OS installed.  If it does, you can then copy or move the existing virtual hard disk to the newly created empty Windows XP VM and see if it will then run.  This can be done either through the VM's Settings or manually copying/moving the files that comprise the virtual hard disk and manually editing the .vmx configuration file.  Obviously you need to remove the newly created empty virtual hard disk in this process so as to be using the virtual hard disk from the existing Windows XP VM.

• 12. Re: VMX file corrupt on OS X 10.10 Beta
                                dariusd Virtuoso
                                VMware EmployeesUser Moderators

Hi Nick!

Your ~/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/vmInventory seems to be messed up and does not point to the correct files anymore.  The entries in that file are supposed to point to the .vmx files (the VM configuration file within each bundle) but instead they point to the .vmwarevm bundles.  If you have any ideas what could have caused that, please let us know... How did you import the VMs into the Fusion Tech Preview?

To fix it, try this:

Close Fusion.  Launch Terminal, and run the following command (you should probably copy-and-paste it into your Terminal window ):

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/ && sed -i.orig -e 's#\([^/]*\)\.vmwarevm"$#\1.vmwarevm/\1.vmx"#' vmInventory

If all goes well, you will simply get a prompt again, and you can close the Terminal window.  Launch Fusion again, and try to open your VMs.  Hopefully they will work now.  If you encounter any problems, let us know.  The above command will make a backup of your existing vmInventory file at the time it is run.

Cheers,

--

Darius

Message was edited by: Darius Davis: Fixed the command to work with BSD-ish sed... *headdesk*