4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2006 5:10 AM by RDPetruska RSS

IDE Hard Drives

ldb88 Novice

I have VMWare Workstation 5.0.0 and I cannot change my virtual hard drive off of SCSI and onto IDE because there is no IDE option.  There is one for the CD-ROM drive, however.  How do I change it to IDE?  I tried changing the .vmx file, but it said it was created using SCSI geometries and it cannot be used as an IDE.  I am willing to create a new virtual machine if necessary.

Message was edited by:

• 1. Re: IDE Hard Drives
          el1971 Expert

I've seen that ide->scsi is possible ( http://www.sanbarrow.com/ide2scsi.html )but scsi->ide is more tricky. You should probably create a new ide virtual disk and then clone (with ghost as example) the scsi partition onto it.

For creating a new VM with IDE disks you've to choose custom and after some steps you'll be asked for a virtual disk type. There you can select SCSI or IDE.

\-- Edi

• 2. Re: IDE Hard Drives
            continuum Guru User Moderators vExpert

SCSI to IDE is very easy when the disk is larger than 8GB

simply use

ddb.adapterType = "ide"

ddb.geometry.sectors = "63"

ddb.geometry.heads = "16"

ddb.geometry.cylinders = "16383"

for disk-geometrie.

Don't forget that you need to fix guest-drivers if this is a systemboot-disk.

• 3. Re: IDE Hard Drives
              el1971 Expert

Hi Ulli,

why it has to be greater then 8Gb? Why this limitation?

Thanks a lot for the information,

• 4. Re: IDE Hard Drives
                RDPetruska Guru User Moderators vExpert

why it has to be greater then 8Gb? Why this

It's not a limitation... it's that the geometry tables change below 8Gb; so you'd need to know the tables and/or formulae.  At that point, it's much easier to just create a new disk of the type/size you want and throw away all except the descriptor-file, which will contain the values you will need.