7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2014 3:45 AM by spurpura

Community Technology Preview 2014 Unit Issue with Multiple Displays

spurpura Novice

Hi All,

I am have issue when there is more than one monitor moving a Windows application running in Unity Mode to the second monitor. When I move it to the second display it just snaps back to the spot it was originally. I can not get the apps to move to the second monitor.

Anybody seen this behavior before?

• 1. Re: Community Technology Preview 2014 Unit Issue with Multiple Displays
          Enthusiast

Hi spurpura,

Thx a lot for using Fusion Tech Preview!

How many external monitors you used? And what kind of Mac do you use? Does Mac has retina display or not? And what kind of external monitors do you use?

When you move the window to the second display, can you see the window's content in the second display or just can see a black rectangle?

Thx a lot for your support in advance, we need more information to narrow down your problem. Nice day.

• 2. Re: Community Technology Preview 2014 Unit Issue with Multiple Displays
            spurpura Novice

Hi jcui0122,

I have two Monitors connect using the Thunderbolt to DVI connector. I have a Retina Mac Book Pro with 16GB of Flash and 512GB of SSD Flash disk space.  The monitors are Acer monitors and work terrific with MAC OS/X and Fusion 6.  When I move the app to the second window I see the app move but there dis the desktop background which is gray still on the other monitor. When I let go it bounces back to where the Gray spot is on the previous monitor.

Occasionally it does work and it stays. IF I open the Library window I can even see the app move in that window but it only moves to the second monitor in the library view when it works. otherwise it stays in the previous spot even though I see it move on the monitors.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks,

Sal

• 3. Re: Community Technology Preview 2014 Unit Issue with Multiple Displays
              Enthusiast

Hi spurpura,

As an known VRAM limitation, for retina display, we can not support more than one external monitor for now. We're trying to find a friendly way to tell customer when violating this limitation, but in preview version, there's no warning msg to tell customer this, and it just can't work.

So could you pls try to just use one external monitor?

Or if you need to use two external monitors, could you pls try to disable "Use full resolution for Retina" in VM settings -> Display, and to see whether it works now? Be noticed In this way, we don't use retina resolution in unity mode, and you'll notice that the unity window is not as high resolution as before.

• 4. Re: Community Technology Preview 2014 Unit Issue with Multiple Displays
                spurpura Novice

Hi Jcui0122,

That setting has no effect at all and by the way it works perfectly in 6.0.4 even with the setting turned on so I do not think what you are saying has anything to do with my problem. I can not just move an app from one monitor to the other in Unity mode. it just snaps back to the way it was originally.  Works fine in Full screen mode.  Also the Retina setting does not have anything to do with Unity mode just Full screen or at least that is what it says.  but again with that setting turned on it works perfectly in 6.0.4.

Before and After images attached.

thanks,

Sal

AfterMove - See the Gray box where the app use to be then when I let go to drop it it goes right back the the Gray box.

AfterMove.jpeg

Before Image

BeforeMove.jpeg

• 5. Re: Community Technology Preview 2014 Unit Issue with Multiple Displays
                  Enthusiast

Hi spurpura,

These two options do matter in Fusion 7 Tech Preview in your case, they're related to a new feature in Fusion 7, we improve the unity window's display in retina monitor. Before Fusion 7, these two options doesn't take effect for unity mode, but in Fusion 7, it do matter as this new feature.

In your snapshot, I just see two external monitors, I think there's retina display Mac in your environment, do you use that retina display when you encounter the problem or you've turned it off?

And could you pls upload the snapshot of display topology here?

You can get the display topology by apple's System Preferences -> Display, that can let me know the position of your used monitors.

• 6. Re: Community Technology Preview 2014 Unit Issue with Multiple Displays
                    Enthusiast

And in your phenomena, has two problems:

1. When you drag a window to a second monitor, the original place of the window shows grey.

2. When you release the mouse at the target location, the window jumps back to the original place, and as you said, occasionally, the window can stay at the target location correctly.

I can't reproduce your problem in my local machine for now, pls also let me know your Mac's version, and Windows' version(win7?). And do you have above problems for every application or just some specific application, pls let me know the application's name?

Thx a lot.

• 7. Re: Community Technology Preview 2014 Unit Issue with Multiple Displays
                      spurpura Novice

hi jcui0122,

this is still happening  and the version of windows is 8.1 and the version of os/x is 10.9.4, this problem happens on multiple programs but not 100% of the time. this only happens in unity. if I am full screen it works perfect everytime.

this is also happening on windows 8.1 store apps.  the big thing is if you move the window it will snap back to the original spot. the gray background is the desktop and is only displays when there are other windows programs running and it is over the other programs. this is not a second problem but a symptom of the same problem. 

thanks,

Sal