VMware Cloud Community
MSH79
Contributor
Contributor

Move from Log Insight 1.5 GA to 2.0 GA

My organization is looking to move from using Log Insight 1.5 GA to 2.0 GA. We have stood up a new instance of the virtual appliance rather than doing an in-place upgrade. Can we use the “integration” pane in the console of the appliance the same way we would if this were a first time, stand-alone deployment? 

Will configuring the appliance in this way tell vSphere \vCenter\ESXi hosts and vCOPS to send logs to the new Log Insight server?  Or perhaps both Log Insight servers?    Is this the best way to move up to the new version?  Just looking to make sure nothing breaks during the transition.

Thanks for your advice on this

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

My expert colleague (stevefl) tells me that it is possible for a vSphere instance to send logs to more than one LogInsight instance at the same time as long as it is vSphere v5.x or newer.

About the recommended way to migrate from LogInsight 1.5 to 2.0 GA, I would recommend, taking a snapshot of your LogInsight 1.5 GA instance, before you upgrade the 1.5 GA instance to 2.0 GA, so you can revert to 1.5 GA incase you hit any issues. However your in place upgrade from 1.5 GA to 2.0 GA should work just fine.

If this is not suitable for your environment then you can setup 2 instances like you write about and then get rid of the old instance once you are comfortable with your 2.0 GA LogInsight instance.

sflanders
Commander
Commander

Yogita is correct. Can you elaborate on why you wanted to stand up a new instance versus upgrade in place?

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
MSH79
Contributor
Contributor

Great thanks for this info to help inform our decision.

0 Kudos
MSH79
Contributor
Contributor

In response to sflanders: First thanks for the advice. To answer your question I would have preferred to do an in-place upgrade but when I went to download bits for the update on my.vmware.com I did not have permission under my account to do so. I work in a large IT group so the process of figuring out who originally purchased the LogInsight software, under which contract # and third party vendor in order to get access to upgrade bits would have been more work then just standing up a new instance.  If there were a way for me to acquire the bits without that dance I would happy do so.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Makes sense, thanks for the information. If you know your VMware rep they should be able to assist as well.

If your question is answered can you mark this post as answered? Thanks!

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
thepj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is something that you may be interested in!

This below script, you can just paste in it's entirety into the VMware PowerCLI! Make sure to change the SYSLOG SERVER IP/FQDN to your syslog server or Log insight. You can chose TCP if you want as well. It will configure all hosts within a vCenter environment to ADD an additional (or its first if there is none) syslog server, enable the sysloging through the firewall and add the port. It saves a ton of time and may be useful!

# PowerCLI Script for adding syslogserver to hosts

# @mrlesmithjr

# EverythingShouldBeVirtual.com

# Change the following to match your environment

# vi_server is your vCenter

$vi_server = “vcenterservername”

$vcuser = "vcenterserverusername"

$vcpass = "vcenterserverpassword"

# Make sure to tweak the protocol and ports below to match your environment

$syslogservers = “udp://SYSLOG SERVER IP/FQDN:514”

# Connect-VIServer -Server $vi_server -User $vcuser -Password $vcpass

# Setup variable to use in script for all hosts in vCenter

$vmhosts = @(Get-VMHost)

# Configure syslog on each host in vCenter

foreach ($vmhost in $vmhosts) {

Write-Host ‘$vmhost = ‘ $vmhost

Set-VMHostAdvancedConfiguration -Name Syslog.global.logHost -Value "$syslogservers" -VMHost $vmhost

Get-VMHostFirewallException -Name "syslog" -VMHost $vmhost | set-VMHostFirewallException -Enabled:$true

$esxcli = Get-EsxCli -VMHost $vmhost

$esxcli.system.syslog.reload()

}

Disconnect-VIServer * -Confirm:$false

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I removed the section that had the variables for account/password, I hate pasting those and manually do it after using VI-connect

0 Kudos