4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 2:03 PM by sporkme

Graphics card selection - coming to next point release?

sporkme Novice

After finally moving to Mavericks from SL, I finally bought the Fusion 6 upgrade (was on 3).  I also have a new (to me) MBP with graphics switching.

While perusing this forum, I noticed one of the features of the preview release is selectable graphics support.  For the love of battery life and for the total absence of graphics-intensive work in my occasional forays into windows in a VM, I'd love to have that feature.  I may grab the preview in the next few weeks to check it out, but I wonder if/when the graphics switching feature may end up in the next release (6.0.5?)

• 1. Re: Graphics card selection - coming to next point release?
          wila Guru
          vExpertCommunity WarriorsUser Moderators

Hi Spork,

Unless VMware really deviates from past practice and decides that stability isn't all the worthwhile, that won't be added to 6.x as it is a new feature.

New features end up in new releases as they need time to stabilize and tested in a broad environment before getting in the mainline product.

That's also why there is a public beta, so that people can try it out AFTER it already passed VMware Q&A so as to catch any unforeseen problems.

The beta's tend to be very stable too, but of course there is a higher risk that things go wrong.

Sometimes they do, but it is very rare for it to be catastrophic. If that's worthwhile for you, only you can tell. VMware actively recommends against running the beta on production machines, yet I have done that many times without regrets.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Desktop Products
          | Vimalin : Automated backups for VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation Professional
          | More info at https://www.vimalin.com
          | Twitter @wilva
          | VMware Wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com
          • 2. Re: Graphics card selection - coming to next point release?
            sporkme Novice

What a bummer.  A very useful, but simple solution and it's only available in the "Pro" version.  Only pro users need to save battery when not plugged-in?

It's getting really hard to decide whether Parallels or VMware is the most douchiest.

• 3. Re: Graphics card selection - coming to next point release?
              mudaltsov Expert

Sorry, it appears there is a mistake on the comparison page between Fusion 7 and Fusion 7 Pro. We'll try to fix it as soon as possible.

Automatic graphics switching and discrete GPU selection is available in all editions of Fusion 7.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Graphics card selection - coming to next point release?
                sporkme Novice

And I bought 6 on 7/14/2014.