VMware Cloud Community
suri4u
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VCenter Server

Hi,

We have recently purchased VSPHERE 5 ESS + RETAIL 10CPU and vCenter Server 5 Standard for vSphere 5 Per Instance. i am trying to install vcenter server on a windows 2012 virtual machine.

I am stuck at how to proceed with the installation, where to get the software, how to configure it to manage other vshpere clients at different locaitons.

Could you please help me on this .

Thanks,

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

These links should help -

Installing VMware vCenter Server - vSphere [V5.0] - VMware Education Services - it is for 5.0 but will apply to 5.5 as well-

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-551-host-m...

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
suri4u
Contributor
Contributor

Actually i am new to VMware world.Thanks a lot for the videos.

We have 5 locations. installed VM's and able to connect to those VM''s using Vsphere client. now we are planning to implement the same at other location.

As we know,Vcenter is used for centralized management of all the location VM's .. i am trying to install the vcenter server software on one of the windows server.

Where can i get the exact vcenter server software and the installation procedure ? Guide me on this

actually i have installed vcenter,but what i can see on the desktop is vcenter orchestrator and some other shortcuts.But i am not able to see the vcenter server shortcut on desktop to go to the vcenter console to add the ESXi hosts

Thanks,

0 Kudos
malhi_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

There is no shortcuts for vCneter. You can access vCente through  web client https://vCenter_IP:9443   or through the thick client VMware vSheper client.

Please see the document in   weinstein5 post

0 Kudos
suri4u
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much guys .. Videos helped a lot. I was able to figure out the vcenter installation.

one more question :

we have two servers connected to a shared storage( Dell MD3220). Both the servers are having VSphere installed and the host has 4 VM's running.How to setup the High Availabilty for the Virtual Machine on Host A sot that when the VM on host A crashes, other host has the same VM with all the data and applications up and running ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You mentioned vSphere Essentials in your initial post!? For High Availability (HA) you'll need at least Essentials Plus.

With the required licensing in place, you can enable HA in the cluster settings.

André

0 Kudos
suri4u
Contributor
Contributor

Actually here are the actual licenses we have,could you please check

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's somehow unclear to me, the licenses seem to be Essentials, but the SnS is for Essentials Plus!?
How do the licenses show up in either the vCenter Server licensing section or on the ESXi host's summary tab (Essentials or Essentials Plus)?

If you have Essentials Plus licensed, then you can simply create a cluster (unless already done), move the ESXi hosts to this cluster and enable HA.

André

0 Kudos