VMware Horizon Community
keviom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thinapp Skype 6.16,0 Won't close

I have just tried to Thin app Skype from a Win7 64 Bit with latest patches etc using Thin app 5. I have just done a very basic install, then once Skype started, I closed it then quit Skype with no problems.  When I run the Thin app build on another machine it starts fine, Microphone and speaker work fine, but then when you try to quit you get an error message pop up box C:\Program files(86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe Unspecified error - When you click Ok, Skype does not quit, but stays active. - On the Initial install machine at this point there is a message - Do you really want to quit Skype, you won't be able to receive any instant messages ......

I have done some testing on the master machine, and if I start the thin app Skype without any changes after the install it works, but if I rename the Program Files(86)\Skype\Phone Directory to something else and run the thin app Skype then it fails with the message when you try to quit. Has any one else managed to Thin app this version of Skype, and if so how please?

I did try creating an MSI and installing that on a machine that hadn't been Skyped, but it doesn't create the Skype\Phone directory.

Thanks

Kevin

1 Reply
keviom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update :- After thinking about this and some trial and error, I have managed to half solve this issue. I now have it working provided you install it via the MSI option. I haven't yet managed to solve Streaming it from an EXE file yet, this still fails to quit

So in case anyone else needs to do this here's the way I did it on my Base Win7 64 Bit capture machine:-

• Start Capture
  • Install Skype - Very Basic install, No to Start with Windows, no desktop icon, No Click to Dial , No MSN homepage as that is all I needed
  • When install finishes Skype starts
  • Close Skype
  • Right Click the Skype on Taskbar and Quit Skype, answering the message that pops up#
  • Finish Capture - Selecting defaults, but creating an MSI file as well
  • Edit Package.INI and change MSIInstallDirectory= from Skype (VMware Thinapp) to Skype\Phone
  • Build and Finish

Once this is done I can install the Thinapp MSI package on my W7 64 bit linked clones and everything works as expected, but interestingly when you right click the Skype on the Taskbar and select Quit Skype you see the Thinapp popup message in the bottom right hand corner of the screen appear again. If anyone gets the Streaming version to work I'd be interested to know how.

Kevin