VMware Cloud Community
Xerloq
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 ASUS H97M Plus, Intel I218-V "No Network Adapters" Error

Hello all!

I'm experimenting with ESXi on my home computer, but keep running into the "No Network Adapters" error, which I understand is because the 5.5 default drivers don't support the Intel I218-V on my Asus H97M-Plus motherboard.

I've looked through these forums and others, and understand that I can use the ESXi Customizer v2.7.2 to add the Intel drivers. The latest version I can find in a .VIB file is net-e1000e-2.3.2.x86_64 which don't seem to work. The latest version I can fine on Intel's site is e1000e-3.0.4. I've tried using the Customizer to insert that version without success.

Also, I'm trying to run ESXi from a bootable USB drive which I create from the ISO using Rufus-1.4.9

My system specs are:

Asus H97M-Plus

Intel 4790S

32GB DDR3-1600 RAM

What's the next step?

Thanks,

97 Replies
Xerloq
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps a follow up. I'm trying to find a way to convert the Intel driver into a VIB. Is there a way to do that outside of Linux or ESXi? Has anyone had luck with the Intel I218-V? Is there a repository of customized ISOs I could browse?

0 Kudos
cug1248
Contributor
Contributor

Got the exact same problem.

Customized VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.5.0.update01-1623387.x86_64.iso with everything under the sun, didn't work.

Thinking it had to do with driver compatibility, I also tried customizing VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0.update02-1483097.x86_64.iso to no avail.

My specs:

Asus H97M-Plus

Intel 4690S

16GB DDR3-1600 RAM

Thinking of bying a supported NIC.

Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
Xerloq
Contributor
Contributor

No answers yet. I actually just installed Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V and hit the same problem - no driver for the NIC. Perhaps the mobo/NIC is still too new?

I came to the same conclusion on the supported NIC - now just to find an inexpensive supported NIC.

Still hoping to find a solution to the driver issue on ESXi

0 Kudos
cug1248
Contributor
Contributor

I even got to the point thinking the motherboard had the network component broken.

To test that I tried installing a debian OS with a live cd I created one year ago. Same problem, no network device.

I created the latest debian live and the network card was identified and a driver successfully installed.

That means the card is new.

I was able to run lspci while on linux. The device identifier is 15a1.
That id can be found in e1000e-3.0.4.tar.gz used for customizing the iso.

Here is the content from pci.updates

15a1  Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

Customizing with tgz is deprecated. Maybe that has something to do with it not working.

Without knowing any ESXi internals, I expect the damn thing to be identified.

I'll continue to search a solution, will post updates when I make progress. Please do the same Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
umbriel
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in the same boat as you guys.

My specs:

Asus H97M-Plus

Intel 4770S

32GB DDR3-1600 RAM

Did anyone try an alternate supported NIC, to see if the rest of the board is supported?

I guess this is just the drawback to trying to go for the latest hardware.

0 Kudos
cug1248
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered the Intel PRO/1000 CT. Not cheap, but definitely cheaper than other Intel cards. Oh man, went beyond budget again Smiley Happy

According to the german amazon comments it works out of the box with ESXi 5.5
It will be delivered tomorrow. Will follow up.
0 Kudos
cug1248
Contributor
Contributor

Received my Intel PRO/1000 CT network card today.

With it, I got past the 'No network adapters found' issue. No problems so far, the Samsung SSD detected, no driver issues there. Installation still in progress though

0 Kudos
MarkPattison
Contributor
Contributor

This is madness. We have piles of NICs here, including ones with 8039 / 8139 chipsets, 3Com cards etc. etc. These are really really common cards, and not having drivers built into the install pack is a gross oversight that fundamentally undermines the idea of demo software. I have the morning to investigate using this software: so far I have wasted most of it endlessly rebooting the installer to be told "No network card". I have never, ever, come across on O/S before that doesn't support these basic, almost universal cards. Another case of a company becoming too big & successful to understand the needs of it's customers?

cug1248
Contributor
Contributor

Mark,

I don't know the reason behind this, but vmware are deprecating drivers for older hardware with every release. I suspect it has to do with keeping the install base small.

They do maintain the hardware compatibility list, that's their take it or leave it contract. I couldn't say it's inaccurate, however I have a network card that's supported and it's not in that list. I needed other sources to make sure I don't do the wrong purchase.

The product being free of charge, most probably we can complain at our own expense Smiley Happy It's kinda the right thing.

I hope the paying folk have it better.

0 Kudos
cug1248
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

in a previous post I mentioned that the samsung ssd was visible. Well, I didn't get to boot it after a successful instalation of esxi on it and from that point on the motherboard started acting strangely, not booting from anything. Had to run the jumper bios reset.

After that I installed anew from the stock iso onto a usb stick and was able to boot from it. No storage adapters were visible though, therefore my samsung ssd was not present in the list.

Here are the steps I took to solve it.

In UEFI BIOS, Advanced>Storage PCH there's an option (storage type something) with 3 possible values: RAID, IDE, AHCI. Chose AHCI. Rebooted the hypervisor.

Followed VMware Front Experience: How to make your unsupported SATA AHCI Controller work with ESXi 5.5 (the first 3 commands) and that installed the required drivers nicely.

I am now able to install VMs onto the SSD.

Preparing my Nobel Prize nomination letter, advising the committee to add Andreas Peetz for next year's peace prize face-off.

Message was edited by: cug1248

Xerloq
Contributor
Contributor

Nice workaround - and it's good the rest of the mobo is supported. Not sure I want to pick up a separate NIC, though. Maybe I'll hold out to see if a different/newer version of the I218-V driver works, or if anyone else has ideas. I miss not having VMware, but Hyper-V is working well enough for my needs, and I can spare the overhead for the moment.

I'm also going to futz around with trying to turn the driver into a VIB, and keep scouring the other virtualization forums.

0 Kudos
Xerloq
Contributor
Contributor

I just got my Intel card today. Looking forward to dropping it into my server and getting ESXi up and running.

I also have a nice 512GB M.2 MSATA card to install, too.

0 Kudos
GLRoman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think I have the solution.

Last year I decided to replace my aging Linux server with a Home Virtualization Server ("White Box").  Previous work required me to evaluate various virtualization options (Xen, ESXi, Hyper-V, etc) and I had selected VMware as best of breed for my customer.  Thus I decided on 5.5 for my home machine as well.

Procrastination being a good friend (oh, and I got married), I finally got around to this project in May.  Wanting a "cutting-edge" system that would last me several years into the future, I purchased an Intel i7-4790S and ASRock Extreme6.  Imagine my surprise when I learned that neither one of my two on-board NICs (I218-V and Realtek RTL8111GR) was supported!  Further research indicated that there were no recent Community drivers for these NICs available.  The old ones I found all failed.  So I purchased the Intel EXPI9301 (~$30) just to get ESXi to install.

After more research, I learned that some people were having success building their own drivers for ESXi.  I decided to give this a shot, as it appeared fairly straight-forward and I want a second NIC.

I was mistaken.  Building an ESXi driver is non-trivial.  I found and followed the excellent guide from "trickstarter" and that helped greatly:

http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4340

So, after much frustration, cursing, late nights, and red wine, I compiled an e1000e driver from the latest SourceForge code that seems to run OK on my Extreme6 / I218-V (see attached).

The usual disclaimers apply: use at your own risk, no warranties implied or given, etc.  I'm putting it out there hoping it can help someone.  According to the PCI ID file, it should support the following:

1049  82566MM Gigabit Network Connection

104a  82566DM Gigabit Network Connection

104b  82566DC Gigabit Network Connection

104c  82562V 10/100 Network Connection

104d  82566MC Gigabit Network Connection

105e  82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

105f  82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

1060  82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

107d  82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

107e  82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

107f  82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

108b  82573V Gigabit Ethernet Controller

108c  82573E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

1096  80003ES2LAN Gigabit Ethernet Controller

1098  80003ES2LAN Gigabit Ethernet Controller

109a  82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller

10a4  82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

10a5  82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Fiber)

10b9  82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

10ba  80003ES2LAN Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)

10bb  80003ES2LAN Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Serdes)

10bc  82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)

10bd  82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection

10bf  82567LF Gigabit Network Connection

10c0  82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection

10c2  82562G-2 10/100 Network Connection

10c3  82562GT-2 10/100 Network Connection

10c4  82562GT 10/100 Network Connection

10c5  82562G 10/100 Network Connection

10cb  82567V Gigabit Network Connection

10cc  82567LM-2 Gigabit Network Connection

10cd  82567LF-2 Gigabit Network Connection

10ce  82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection

10d3  82574L Gigabit Network Connection

10d5  82571PT Gigabit PT Quad Port Server ExpressModule

10d9  82571EB Dual Port Gigabit Mezzanine Adapter

10da  82571EB Quad Port Gigabit Mezzanine Adapter

10de  82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection

10df  82567LF-3 Gigabit Network Connection

10e5  82567LM-4 Gigabit Network Connection

10ea  82577LM Gigabit Network Connection

10eb  82577LC Gigabit Network Connection

10ef  82578DM Gigabit Network Connection

10f0  82578DC Gigabit Network Connection

10f5  82567LM Gigabit Network Connection

10f6  82574L Gigabit Network Connection

1501  82567V-3 Gigabit Network Connection

150c  82583V Gigabit Network Connection

1525  82567V-4 Gigabit Network Connection

153a  Ethernet Connection I217-LM

153b  Ethernet Connection I217-V

1559  Ethernet Connection I218-V

155a  Ethernet Connection I218-LM

15a0  Ethernet Connection (2) I218-LM

15a1  Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

15a2  Ethernet Connection (3) I218-LM

15a3  Ethernet Connection (3) I218-V

294c  82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection

I218-V-running.jpg

umbriel
Contributor
Contributor

Good work!

However I cant seem to integrate this vib into the ESXI 5.5u1 iso.

I have been trying to use the ESXi-Customizer v2.7.2.

The procedure stops after checking the vib file. And I get the error: "The syntax of the command is incorrect."

Capture.PNG

Is there an alternate way of doing this?

0 Kudos
GLRoman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Umbriel,

I'm not sure why the script is breaking, but I've created an offline bundle and attached it to my original post.  Using that bundle, I was successfully able to create an ISO using ESXi-Customizer-PS-v2.2.ps1 running in a PowerCLI shell.

0 Kudos
umbriel
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks GLRoman!

Worked like a charm. Haven't got anyexperience with PowerCLI yet, but with a few instructions it turned out to work great.

I used the following guide to install PowerCLI: Back to Basics: Part 1 - Installing PowerCLI | VMware PowerCLI Blog - VMware Blogs

Then I followed the instructions for example f) here: VMware Front Experience: ESXi-Customizer-PS

0 Kudos
GLRoman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great, I'm glad it's working for you Umbriel.

BTW, I found the problem in ESXi-Customizer.cmd v2.7.2.  If you prefer using that tool, you can fix it by changing the three lines starting at line number 593:

findstr /I /L "<payload" %1 | "%SED%" -e "s#.*<payload name=\"#set %2PayloadName=#I;s#\".*##I" >>%3
    echo.>>%3
    findstr /I /L "<payload" %1 | "%SED%" -e "s#.*<payload .* type=\"#set %2PayloadType=#I;s#\".*##I" >>%3

to this:

findstr /I /R "<payload.*name" %1 | "%SED%" -e "s#.*<payload name=\"#set %2PayloadName=#I;s#\".*##I" >>%3
   echo.>>%3
   findstr /I /R "<payload.*name" %1 | "%SED%" -e "s#.*<payload .* type=\"#set %2PayloadType=#I;s#\".*##I" >>%3

Then ESXi-Customizer 2.7.2 will produce an ISO with my VIB.

customizer-output.jpg

Peter5656
Contributor
Contributor

@GLRoman

I don’t know how to thank you. I’am grateful beyond words.

~ # esxcli software vib install -v /vmfs/volumes/53d24813-58392174-a937-001b210b11d3/test/e1000e-3.1.0.2-glr.vib

Installation Result

Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.

Reboot Required: true

VIBs Installed: GLRoman_bootbank_net-e1000e_3.1.0.2-glr

VIBs Removed: daoyama_bootbank_net-e1000e_2.3.2

VIBs Skipped:

After a Reboot...

~ # esxcfg-nics -l

Name    PCI           Driver      Link Speed     Duplex MAC Address       MTU    Description

vmnic0  0000:04:01.00 e1000       Down 0Mbps     Full   00:1b:21:0b:11:d3 1500   Intel Corporation 82541PI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

vmnic1  0000:00:19.00 e1000e      Up   1000Mbps  Full   10:c3:7b:4f:41:b3 1500   Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V  :smileygrin::smileygrin::smileygrin:

A bit off topic but appreciable to this mainboard:

First I had problems with the onboard sata controller, that required some steps:

-from initial BIOS Version to 2104

-boot --> Boot device control --> UEFI & Legacy OPROM

-boot --> Secure boot menu --> OS type --> Other OS

-boot --> Secure boot --> boot option #1 --> UEFI OS *device*

-advanced --> CPU Configuration --> Enable Intel VT

~ # esxcli software acceptance set --level=CommunitySupported

~ # esxcli network firewall ruleset set -e true -r httpClient

~ # esxcli software vib install -d http://vibsdepot.v-front.de -n sata-xahci

0 Kudos
GLRoman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You're welcome Peter -- glad I could help.

@Xerloq: We now have three independently-confirmed successful installs.  Can you mark this as answered?  Thanks.

0 Kudos