8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 9:56 AM by owells

Kernel Panics with OS X 10.9.4

owells Novice

I'm running a mid-2011 MBA. Never had a kernel panic on this machine until I upgraded to OS X 10.9.4 on Jul 2. Since then I've experienced 2-3 kernel panics a day. All while listening to iTunes Radio in the background and running the VMWare Technology Preview. I just upgraded from the May 2014 version to the July 2014 today and still experienced a kernel panic. The panic logs consistently list VMWare Fusion first so I suspect there is something incompatible between the Technology Preview and OS X 10.9.4. Any ideas or suggestions?

• 1. Re: Kernel Panics with OS X 10.9.4
          dariusd Virtuoso
          User ModeratorsVMware Employees

Hi owells,

The list of kexts show the Fusion modules first because they were the most recent to load – VMware Fusion loads them on-demand, so they load after all the boot-time kexts and almost always appear at the top of the list.

The process which was active at the time of the panic was blued, which is responsible for Bluetooth on the host.  The nature of the panic, though, suggests that blued is not necessarily the cause... it might be a victim of some other kernel extension (or hardware problem) corrupting memory.  I have not seen any recent panic that is similar to yours, nor am I aware of any known defect that could cause it, either in OS X or in Fusion.

Are you running any virtual machines with the "Share Bluetooth Devices" feature enabled (in Virtual Machine > Settings > USB & Bluetooth)?

Can you zip up all the diagnostic/panic reports from inside /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ and attach them here?  Let's see if there is any pattern to them.

Thanks,

--

Darius

• 2. Re: Kernel Panics with OS X 10.9.4
            owells Novice

I do not have the "Share Bluetooth Devices" featured enabled at all.  As I mentioned before, every time it's happened I've been listening to iTunes Radio in the background. And usually using Safari though the last two times I was in iPhoto. I am using bluetooth headphones along with the standard bluetooth Apple mouse and keyboard (i.e. I typically work with the lid closed on my MBA). Perhaps the VMWare Fusion Technology Preview isn't the culprit. All I know is that this all started with the production release of OS X 10.9.4. Even the beta release of 10.9.4. didn't have this issue.

Attached are all the kernel panic logs per your request.

• 3. Re: Kernel Panics with OS X 10.9.4
              dariusd Virtuoso

Thanks!  The panic logs agree that blued is not the culprit – It just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  (Incidentally, the "Mac OS version" in the first panic log indicates that the problem might have actually started with the beta release of 10.9.4...)

My first suggestion would be to run Apple Hardware Test: Using Apple Hardware Test

That suggestion feels a touch lame, but in the absence of any other reports of this failure, it may well be something that is specific to your host machine, in which case it would serve us well to start by testing the hardware.  (And yes, new OS versions can certainly bring out latent hardware problems, or hardware problems can just choose to start manifesting at the same moment you install a software update... Those sneaky computers like to try to trick us like that...)

In the meantime, I'll certainly keep my eyes open for any other reports that seem similar to yours in case there is a more widespread problem.

Thanks,

--

Darius

• 4. Re: Kernel Panics with OS X 10.9.4
                owells Novice

Apple Hardware Test indicated no problems. I managed to get through an entire workday with no kernel panics. However, I wasn't using iTunes or my bluetooth headphones for an extended period of time like usual.

• 5. Re: Kernel Panics with OS X 10.9.4
                  gbannoff Lurker

I have had similar issues the last couple of days.  Kernel panics with VMWare Fusion 6.0.4 on Mavericks 10.9.4

Apple Support helpfully suggested reverting to Fusion 6.0.3.  The problem still occurs almost immediately.

• 6. Re: Kernel Panics with OS X 10.9.4
                    dariusd Virtuoso

Hi gbannoff,

Could you also please zip up all the diagnostic/panic reports from inside /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ and attach them here?  I'll check if there is any common thread to them.

If reverting Fusion to 6.0.3 failed to address the problem, does the timeframe of your panics also suggest that the problem might be correlated with the Mavericks update (10.9.4)?

Thanks,

--

Darius

• 7. Re: Kernel Panics with OS X 10.9.4
                      dlhotka Virtuoso

We've had a ton of random issues with 10.9.4 upgrades.  Using the combo updater, and then repairing disk permissions seems to solve most of them.

• 8. Re: Kernel Panics with OS X 10.9.4
                        owells Novice

I've gone over a week with no further kernel panics. Since upgrading to the July 2014 Technology Preview the only other significant change to my system is that I installed Safari 7.1. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself!