3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 3:51 PM by dariusd

Unable to NetBoot an OS X VM in VMware Fusion Technology Preview July 2014?

rtrouton Novice

In the July 2014 VMware Fusion Technology Preview, it doesn't look like NetBoot is working. From the look of the Boot Manager console, it looks like EFI Network is not getting an IP address from DHCP. I've verified that NetBoot is working OK in VMware Fusion 6.0.4 on the same machine.

Screenshots from July 2014 VMware Fusion Technology Preview:

Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 9.45.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 9.47.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 9.47.14 PM.png

• 1. Re: Unable to NetBoot an OS X VM in VMware Fusion Technology Preview July 2014?
          dariusd Virtuoso
          User ModeratorsVMware Employees

With the new EFI firmware in the Fusion Tech Preview, all-zero network addresses appearing in the Boot Manager does not indicate a failure to acquire an IP address... it just means that a static IP address has not been configured into the boot process, and DHCP will be used instead.

I'll have the boot failure fixed as soon as I can.  Thanks for reporting!

--

Darius

• 2. Re: Unable to NetBoot an OS X VM in VMware Fusion Technology Preview July 2014?
            pfergus Novice

Darius,

Rumor has it that you're the person who made Fusion and NetBoot play together.  You (or the actual developer, if it isn't you) have greatly improved the lives of Mac admins everywhere--if there's ever any question regarding "should Fusion keep supporting NetBoot?" know that Mac admins everywhere appreciate and recommend Fusion because of the NetBoot feature.

• 3. Re: Unable to NetBoot an OS X VM in VMware Fusion Technology Preview July 2014?
              dariusd Virtuoso
              VMware EmployeesUser Moderators

Hi pfergus,

Rumor is correct: I was the one who pushed forward the development of NetBoot-in-a-VM (including a lot of reverse-engineering and packet-capture analysis), although I was equally assisted by my awesome co-workers to get this feature into your hands, so I shan't personally claim all the credit.

There's no question about whether we'll continue to support NetBoot -- it's most disheartening that a very late change to the EFI firmware in the July Tech Preview broke NetBoot in this way.  We've already fixed the problem internally.

Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated!  It's awesome to hear that we're really making a difference.

Thanks,

--

Darius