VMware Cloud Community
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Upgraded from 5.5.0c to 5.5u1b - SLOW starting vCenter

I upgraded our vcenter server from 5.5.0c (heartbleed fix) to 5.5u1b (new SSL fix) yesterday.

Everything went fine during the upgrade.

After I rebooted the vCenter server (Windows 2008 physical server with a remote SQL 2008 db) it took 45 minutes for the vCenter Service to start in Windows.

It was stuck in a 'starting' state that entire time. I had given up assuming it was broken after 30 or so minutes.

While looking for the VMware tech support # I noticed the service FINALLY started.

My questions are:

1. Anyone having a very long vCenter service start up times?

2. Where can I look to see why it took so long?

3. Any fixes?

I am reluctant to reboot that server again because I don't want to have to wait 45 minutes before I can log back into vCenter. I want to troubleshoot as far as I can without rebooting for right now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

thats really slow. Did you find any messages in the vcenter logfiles?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102180...

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
krish290785
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Logs should give you some insight on the slow start-up of the service. I suspect it can be either the SSL initialization or the DB access which might slow down the startup process.

-Bala Krishna Gali If the above info is useful, please mark answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I looked through the logs but unfortunately I am not very good at reading the logs.

I think I am going to reboot the box today and see how long it takes and call VMware to have them pour over the logs.

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well I am going to blame this on the upgrade process. The symptoms did not occur again when I rebooted the box just now. The services started in a relative timely fashion. I can only assume that perhaps something was being performed on the database after the upgrade/reboot. Just a guess. Anyways no need to call VMware thank goodness.

0 Kudos