VMware Networking Community
shijimol
Contributor
Contributor

NSX opensource tarball

Hi team,

I could find an opensource NSX tarball file in the VMware site at this location

Download VMware NSX for vSphere

Is this an opensource version of NSX? I couldnt find any relevant information on how to install and configure NSX using this file. Can anybody help?

Regards,

Shiji

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is this an opensource version of NSX?

No. Like many other companies, VMware incorporates various existing 3rd party Open Source components using licenses like the GNU GPL in their products. For example, on ESXi hosts a few of those are OpenSSL, busybox, grub bootloader, libxml and many more. The GPL requires that the source code is published if the code is modified or directly incorporated. VMware does that with all of their products in the form of bundles like this.

However, that doesn't mean all source code of the whole product needs to be published. There is still a lot of core proprietary code that you won't find in these tarballs.

I couldnt find any relevant information on how to install and configure NSX using this file.

You can't. As explained above, the important core proprietary code is not part of these bundles.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
Cosz3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I am using vCenter 6.5 U1, It seems only compatible with NSX 6.3.0 and higher version (VMware Product Interoperability Matrices )

Is there any NSX ova for test can be downloaded free?

Best Regard

shengping

0 Kudos