1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 1:14 PM by jystickman

BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode

jystickman Novice

I didn't find anything in a search (but I'm not sure I'm doing it right).  I had a BSOD this morning running Windows 7 Professional under Mavericks 10.9.3 - 27" iMac, 3.1GHz i5, 24GB of RAM.

I wasn't doing much at the time - it just suddenly crashed.  Was wondering if Unity mode had anything to do with things since it did seem like it had problems popping into Unity mode when I booted the VM and if there are any known issues in that regard.

I collected .dmp files, etc., but was also wondering if there's somewhere else I can post them except to the forum as I don't know what type of confidential info might be contained in the dump files.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
          jystickman Novice

Problems continue even with the new update and running in Full Screen Mode.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:    1000007e

BCP1:    FFFFFFFFC0000005

BCP2:    FFFFF80002FFD9BC

BCP3:    FFFFF880031E5FB8

BCP4:    FFFFF880031E5810

OS Version:    6_1_7601

Service Pack:    1_0

Product:    256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\071114-10764-01.dmp

C:\Users\James Hsieh\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-798600-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

• 2. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
            Enthusiast

Hi, jystickman,

Do you encounter the crash once or many times? And could you provide more detail steps you take before the crash, that can give us help to try to reproduce it locally.

If you encounter another crash, pls help collect support bundle:

Click VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file here.

If the log file is too larger to upload here, pls upload it to below ftp, and let me know your log file name, Thx a lot.

FTP Server: ftpsite.vmware.com

User:   inbound

Pwd:    inbound

Port:   21 

• 3. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
              jystickman Novice

Hi jcui0122,

This has happened multiple times.  Sometimes, it occurs while i am working in the window.  Sometimes, I walk away from my desk and come back and find that the Win7  part has crashed and rebooted.

When it happens, it seems to happen frequently until I reboot my iMac.   It can be stable for a day or two before crashing again.  So unfortunately, I don't have a reliable way of reproducing it.

I ftp'ed the support bundle and also the Windows dump files.  They are all in an archive named BSOD-jcui-20140714-Archive.zip

Please let me know if there is some way to avoid this.  In the release version of Fusion, I also have problems where my switching back and forth between environments frequently gets into a state where the mouse freezes and won't respond to movements.  I'm not sure which is worse.  Erratic mouse control or crashes.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
                jystickman Novice

By the way, I have a suspicion that there may be something to do with 1Password and an interaction with the 1Password Mini enabled now.

• 5. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
                  Enthusiast

Hi jystickman,

Could you pls attached below VM's log here? Thx a lot.

Right click your VM file, click "Show Package Contents", and copy vmware.log, vmware-0.log, vmware-1.log and vmware-2.log here.

And do you encounter crash when don't entering unity mode?

Why do you think the crash may link with 1Password?

• 6. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
                    jystickman Novice

Hi jcui0122,

I put BSOD-jcui-20140715-Archive.zip with the log files and a vmware core file I also found from 2 weeks ago.  Yesterday's failures included a BSOD but a new failure mode too.  Where the VMware Technology Preview app just quits.  Apparently, all the daemons and support processes are running, but the app quits.  Trying to restart the app, I get to where I was before, but clicking anywhere on it results in the app quitting again immediately.  The only way to stabilize the App is to reboot the Mac.  Even killing off all the support processes doesn't help.

I had thought 1Password was the culprit because I had the minibrowser turned off and I didn't crash all weekend.  But then yesterday afternoon the crashes started happening again.  What I was doing yesterday afternoon was trying to edit a presentation in OpenOffice 4.1.0

Please let me know if you have any suggestions because I can't keep up in this way very much longer and may have to abandon the software.

• 7. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
                      jystickman Novice

BTW, I updated the archive file I uploaded with the screen stacktrace when Fusion aborts (filename Fusion  Aborts.txt)

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with OpenOffice now.  I quit editing this presentation, then clicked into the Windows VM and it promptly crashed.  And to be clear, I'm using OpenOffice on the *Mac* side, not the Windows side.

• 8. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
                        Enthusiast

Hi jystickman,

I've got developer's help on your log, from the back trace, seems the crash is caused by FireTDI.sys(http://www.runscanner.net/lib/firetdi.sys.html), it's an anti-virus system service by McAfee.

Could you pls turn Macfee off, and try again?

• 9. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
                          Enthusiast

And could you pls upload cores file to the ftp which can help developer to check what exactly happen on VM?

The file locates at /cores, it's name is "core.<processid>". Upload the latest generated one is okey.

Thx a lot for your help.

• 10. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
                            jystickman Novice

Hi jcui,

Thank you again for your continued help.  I have disabled McAfee and I will report back on the BSOD issue.

Even though the VM has apparently aborted several times, I only have one core file (dated from the July 1 failure).  I sent it up as jcui-20140716.core.zip  I'm not sure why I am not getting additional core files.  I have plenty of disk space free....

• 11. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
                              jystickman Novice

jcui,

I've figured out how to reproduce the abort condition on demand.

- Start Win7 Pro VM under the Technology Preview. Run it in full screen mode.  Make sure it's booted.  Also note that I am displaying this VM on a second monitor.  The screens are organized as Screen 1 on the left, Screen 0 on the right.  The VM is in full screen mode on Screen 1 (on the left, so not primary).

- Open an OpenOffice 4.1.0 spreadsheet on the *Mac* side. (Free download from openoffice.org).  Can be a new spreadsheet or any existing spreadsheet.  Doesn't seem to matter.

- Put something in the first cell.  e.g., the word "blah".

- Single click on another cell to highlight another cell.  Can be any other cell.

- Single click on the cell with the word "blah".  Be careful only to single click such that you only highlight the cell, and not the cell contents.

- Copy using <Command>-C.  This copies the cell.

- Now single click in the Win7 VM.  It should immediately abort.  See the text file I uploaded as jcui-VM-Abort-20140717.txt to the ftp server.  Note that the processes all seem to be running, but the App is closed.  You can double-click on the Technology Preview App and it immediately resumes where it left off.  However:  AS LONG AS THE CONTENTS OF THAT CELL COPY IS IN THE CLIPBOARD, YOU CANNOT CLICK ANYWHERE IN THE Win7 VM WITHOUT HAVING IT ABORT.  The second you replace the contents of the clipboard with something else, you can then click again and resume like nothing ever happened.  You can even double click on the cell (so the cell contents are highlighted), then copy, and have the problem go away.  The problem is specifically when you copy to the clipboard the entire cell by selecting with a single click.  If instead you double-click on the cell, highlighting the cell's contents, and then copying to the clipboard, you are fine.

Please let me know if this is not clear.  I'm guessing this is something in vmware tools where clipboard contents are passed back and forth.

The BSOD issue appears to be resolved after disabling the McAfee firewall stuff.  There is apparently an update which I will experiment with after the abort issue is resolved.

• 12. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
                                Enthusiast

Hi jystickman,

This is very detail and helpful.

I can reproduce the crash in my machine following your steps, and I've already fired a bug in our internal system last Friday, will let you know if there's any update.

Thx again for your great effort on this.

• 13. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
                                  jystickman Novice

Thanks jcui.  It helps that I know how to avoid this now.

Please let me know if there is a solution to test.

• 14. Re: BSOD Windows 7 Professional in Unity Mode
                                    Enthusiast

Hi jystickman,

The internal bug for the crash causing by copying from OpenOffice is resolved!

The problem should be resolved in final Fusion 7 release build. FYI.

1 2 Previous Next