VMware Cloud Community
yashmeet
Contributor
Contributor

Can log insight read custom log files from other applications running on ESX host?

I want to track some metrics on ESX host. I was able to get the syslog for the ESX host dump data to the log insight manager. I cannot get my custom log file to be read by log insight manager. Is there a way?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi has the "logger" command, which will send a single log message to the syslog subsystem, which in turn will be forwarded to your remote syslog target (in your case, hopefully Log Insight). You could try that. Love to see a screenshot of LI if you get it working!

grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Do the above comments answer your question? If so, can you mark your question as answered?

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
yashmeet
Contributor
Contributor

The logger command did work. But I have an app that runs in the background and collects the stats. I am introducing a lot of overhead by invoking an external logger app to log to the messages.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

What stats are you collecting? I would guess the app introduces more overhead then the logger command. All logger is doing and writing to the syslog app that is already running.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Are you all set with this request?

0 Kudos