1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 5:21 AM by chucker23n

USB 3.0 and Windows 7

ErocMillsie Enthusiast

Is this supported yet?  Can anyone confirm?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
          Tonyw23 Expert
          VMware Employees

I am sorry to tell you it is not yet...

• 2. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
            ErocMillsie Enthusiast

Wow!  Great job VMware.  NOT!

• 3. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
              WoodyZ Guru

Not sure why you keep bring this up, you know it's not supported, you've already been told this in several other posts on the same subject!  This makes the third post post you've started on this and have posted in ones created by others too. Read the Release Notes! 

BTW It looks like it's not going to be supported in the next major release base on the state of the current Technology Preview.

• 4. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                ErocMillsie Enthusiast

Not sure why I bring it up?!?!?!  I don't mean any disrespect, but come on guy, are you kidding me?  I'm bringing it up because it's simply pathetic that the biggest player in virtualization does not support something that users should expect.  VMware's own Windows platform product, Workstation 10 supports it, as well as "ALL" of VMware competitors products.  I keep bringing it up, and I will keep bringing it up, because I'm simply want it supported.  No, actually I "NEED" it supported and I won't drop it until it is.  I'm a valued VMware customer and I leverage over $500,000 worth of their products in my enterprise environment.  Simply stated, I expect more out of VMware.

• 5. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                  mudaltsov Expert

Neither Fusion 6 nor Workstation 10 (or any earlier versions) support USB 3.0 in a Windows 7 guest. Please refer to the following KB Article about the specific guest and host support for USB 3.0/xHCI:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2041591

Microsoft implemented a new xHCI driver and software stack to support generic xHCI/USB 3.0 controllers in Windows 8, but has not provided this support in Windows 7. Some hardware manufacturers do provide third-party drivers and software to support USB 3.0 devices on Windows 7 hosts, but those are not likely to work in Windows 7 or older guests and are not officially supported by VMware.

I have not looked into how our competitors have implemented USB 3.0 support, but I would not be surprised if some of them made the virtual hardware appear as a third-party vendor/product, and depend on third-party drivers. This approach may have issues with the virtual hardware not behaving exactly the same as physical hardware, leading to system instability or data corruption. There may also be legal issues with using third-party drivers/software without the appropriate hardware. This is part of the reason why VMware defines its own virtual hardware vendor/product IDs and depends on official guest operating system support for generic xHCI/USB 3.0 controllers.

• 6. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                    snruebes Novice

This is very disappointing and no excuse. VMware should have the knowledge and the manpower to support USB 3.0. In Parallels Desktop it works already for a long time!!!

• 7. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                      ErocMillsie Enthusiast

You are absolutely right on sir!

• 8. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                        dlhotka Virtuoso

I should be taller, thinner, and younger.  Can't do much about two of those. 

Any company has limited resources, and prioritizes those for the greatest coverage of product features.   Hacking around limitations in an Operating system created by it's publisher, is fraught with risk.  Just because someone else touched a hot stove doesn't mean everyone should :-).

• 9. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                          snruebes Novice

Are you kidding me? Several USB 3.0 host controller suppliers were able to support USB 3.0 under Windows 7 by developing the fitting USB 3.0 Windows 7 drivers on physical machines. And the same could VMware do for their hypervisor (virtual machines). They are dealing all the time with virtual devices and driver translations (virtual device in guest to physical device on host) and just added e.g. support for the  PCIe 720p Facetime HD camera in the late 2013 MacBook Air/Pro to the Fusion 7 tech Prev July 2014 although is not yet stable.

Why should the development of drivers for an virtual USB 3.0 host controller for Windows 7 be "hacking around limitations in an OS". This is complete nonsense. There is simply no difference between a physical machine and a VM.

VMware simply don't care and is focusing on ESX server where they make 95 percent of the money with virtualization. Improving the performance of VMs running in Fusion on Mac clients was simply ignored although there is no technical reason why it shouldn't be possible. Parallels Desktop shows that it works. Besides VMware made a wrong market assessment - they thought that Windows 8 will resolve this problem over time - but it did not because most of the enterprises as well as end users hate this non-intuitive and incomplete stopgap with this terrible UI and wait for Windows 9.

The wishes of customers don't count if you are the biggest fish in the sea - the only argument is: "Does it help to make more money?". You can see the same behavior if you look at MS and their tiles disaster Windows 8.

The issue is now present for years and it is really ridiculous how ignorant VMware acts. They look like a defiant kid although they probably know that they should add this feature.

• 10. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                            chucker23n Novice

I don't see why this keeps getting argued about. Native support for USB 3.0 wasn't introduced until Windows 8.

The issue is now present for years

Waiting another year doesn't change anything. Windows 7 is almost five years old now, and Microsoft did not provide a Service Pack that adds native support for USB 3.0. Simple as that.

• 11. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                              dlhotka Virtuoso

Bingo.  Call MSFT, not VMWare.

I'd like to see it too, but I'd much rather have 10.10 support.  Given limited resources, it's far more important.

• 12. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                                snruebes Novice

Why - because Windows 8 is a tile disaster and now real alternative for Enterprises - maybe it becomes better with Windows 9 - we will see at September 30th

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                                  TimG201110141 Novice

chucker23n wrote:

I don't see why this keeps getting argued about. Native support for USB 3.0 wasn't introduced until Windows 8.

The issue is now present for years

Waiting another year doesn't change anything. Windows 7 is almost five years old now, and Microsoft did not provide a Service Pack that adds native support for USB 3.0. Simple as that.

• Because Parallels 7 has NO trouble with USB 3 under Windows 7; and has for almost 2 years now.
                                  • Because Windows 7 is still by far used more than Window 8, especially in business environments
                                  • Because it's not built in to Windows 7 is a LAZY excuse.. They build all kinds of drivers for video, system board IO, ...
                                  • Hell, Parallels just developed for Intel's USB 3.0 Driver set and used that! Works GREAT! They don't have to REINVENT the wheel! DUH.. You just goto intel's site, download USB3 drivers, install and DONE..

Because of this, and my Work uses a Windows 7 image, I basically had to move to Parallels.. Really no choice.. sucks.

• 14. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                                    ChipMcK Expert

TimG201110141 wrote

• Hell, Parallels just developed for Intel's USB 3.0 Driver set and used that! Works GREAT! They don't have to REINVENT the wheel! DUH.. You just goto intel's site, download USB3 drivers, install and DONE..

You realize that YOU could do the same thing and be done with the issue.

The time spent flaming at VMWare is more than the time for DIY.

In the mean time, call MicroSoft and flame at it.

1 2 Previous Next