5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 1:25 AM by mnahum

Multi Monitor Crash

mnahum Enthusiast

Host: Mavericks

Guest: Windows 8.1 (last patches)

Hardware: MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013

My VM having issues when I move my laptop with a different Multi-Monitor configuration

some time I've 2 monitors side by Side and the Laptop screen is closed,  sometime there is an monitor external monitor plugged on the top of the laptop and I used both. always using Full HD resolution on all the screens (including the retina one)

of course is not the same monitors every time.

Then I plugged the laptop to the new location,   the VM mirror the screens with a strange configuration then often crash if I want to play with the configuration to fix it.

I've also a crash report that I can send to support if needed.

The Way to fix it by the way is: unplug all screens. start the laptop, start the VM, plug monitors 1 by one.

• 1. Re: Multi Monitor Crash
          Rena001 Lurker

I verified your issue with my MacBook Pro Retina11,3, but I can’t reproduce this issue.

Please refer to below steps for I verified.

Situation1 Steps:

1.    1.Connect two external monitors to MacBook Pro, and set the display arrangement side by side. (E.g. Left-Dell external monitor; Middle-Dell external monitor, Right-rMBP11,3.)

2.    2.Switch a VM into Full Screen using All Displays mode.

3.    3. Close Laptop screen.

4.    4.Open Laptop screen and change Laptop arrangement, (e.g Left-rMBP11,3; Middle-Dell external monitor, Right-Dell external monitor)

Situation2 Steps:

1.    1. Connect one external monitor to MacBook Pro, and set the display arrangement is Top-Dell external monitor; Bottom- rMBP11,3.

2.    2. Switch a VM into Full Screen using All Displays mode.

3.    3. Close Laptop screen.

4.    4. Open Laptop screen and change Laptop arrangement, (Top- rMBP11,3; Bottom- Dell external monitor.)

The screen can display correctly without mirror in all screen after steps4. And I also verified these issues with other strange arrangement configuration, all of them are correctly. So I want to confirm with you, if I verified steps are correctly? And please retry this issue after reinstall VM tool.

• 2. Re: Multi Monitor Crash
            mnahum Enthusiast

hello,

did you turned off the VM between the tests?

one thing on my case is that the monitor are not the same (not the same resolution too)

I did this with 4 different configuration and was the same result.

Plugging the monitor(s) with a running VM fixed the issue every time.

The issue only exist when the VM is off and move from one configuration to the other

• 3. Re: Multi Monitor Crash
              Rena001 Lurker

I have submitted the related issue, please pay attention to the latest dynamic

• 4. Re: Multi Monitor Crash
                mnahum Enthusiast

"the latest dynamic" ??

• 5. Re: Multi Monitor Crash
                  mnahum Enthusiast

I've updated my laptop to the last beta of 1.9.4 that Apple shipped yesterday ... now my workaround is not working anymore ... I cannot use multi monitor at all