6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 9:18 AM by dlhotka

3d acceleration switch not disabled for OSX guests

dlhotka Virtuoso

The 3d acceleration switch is still functional in settings on an OSX guest.  Since it's not supported, the switch should default to 'off' and be disabled.

• 1. Re: 3d acceleration switch not disabled for OSX guests
          WoodyZ Guru

For OS X Guests, the default for "Accelerate 3d Graphics" is set to "OFF" and it also says "3D acceleration is not supported for the current guest operating system." so IMO it doesn't really need to be physically disabled.

• 2. Re: 3d acceleration switch not disabled for OSX guests
            razvanvilt Novice

Actually, 3D acceleration shouldn't be disabled for OS X guests in the following scenarios:

1) You use a 3D Driver such as the open source VMSvga2 which works on Leopard-Mavericks and offers most forms of acceleration (and at one point even offered some 3D). I managed with minor changes to port the Leopard version to Tiger and it works flawlessly.

2) You have a dual-booting VM with another operating system that actually supports 3D in VMWare. I haven't tried it but I can see no reason why it wouldn't work.

3) VMWare, a 3rd party or even the almighty Apple might develop a fully functional 3D driver for VMWare for OS X. Probably wishful thinking, but not outside the realm of possibility.

I personally think that they should make changes to the VMWare Tools such that they also work on Tiger. They fail linking with iconv, but I suspect that using weak linking would solve that with minor patches to the source code. Tiger works correctly on VMWare Fusion, so I can see no reason why they would ignore it even if they don't officially support it. I always test my software with all releases starting from Tiger and document what breaks. I only exclude an old OS version if it doesn't do what I need. Weak linking makes this quite easy.

• 3. Re: 3d acceleration switch not disabled for OSX guests
              dlhotka Virtuoso

Apple's EULA doesn't permit virtualizing tiger or leopard except on the server version of OSX, so for client OSX hosts, there's no reason to allow it to be enabled.

This came up from a post in the main forum about people turning it on and thinking it made a difference.

• 4. Re: 3d acceleration switch not disabled for OSX guests
                WoodyZ Guru

dlhotka wrote: This came up from a post in the main forum about people turning it on and thinking it made a difference.

For Guest OSes that do not support 3D acceleration the settings sheet clearly and plainly states "3D acceleration is not supported for the current guest operating system.".  So it's a bit ridiculous for anyone to think turning it on would help on a unsupported Guest for this feature!

• 5. Re: 3d acceleration switch not disabled for OSX guests
                  razvanvilt Novice

dlhotka wrote:

Apple's EULA doesn't permit virtualizing tiger or leopard except on the server version of OSX, so for client OSX hosts, there's no reason to allow it to be enabled

And this is relevant to the discussion in what way? Nobody ever mentioned Client or Server in the discussion. It's the same OS and we are talking about drivers. Yes, I meant Tiger Server initially 10.4.7 upgraded to 10.4.11, but that is not relevant in any way. There are no Tiger client DVD images on the Apple Developer portal, but there are Server DVD images that are available to all developers.

For the purpose of our little chat (3D acceleration toggle for OS X guests), regardless of the role of the VM (server or client), there are open source drivers that offer some level of 3D acceleration that work slightly better than the VMWare provided ones (no tears, 2D acceleration, etc.). Those drivers apply to every Intel OS X release, not only to Tiger and Leopard, including the releases officially supported by Apple. As such, disabling that toggle is pointless as it would require manual messing of the VMX file.

Furthermore, as mentioned about a year ago in the Fusion 6 beta communities, the EULA doesn't apply to registered developers as they are bound by the developer agreement, in a similar way to the MSDN license agreement from Microsoft or OTN license agreement with Oracle.

• 6. Re: 3d acceleration switch not disabled for OSX guests
                    dlhotka Virtuoso

I didn't know about those drivers - thanks.

And hadn't thought about the developer use case either.  Request withdrawn :-)