13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2015 7:14 PM by pbraren

ESXi 5.5 issue with powering on a VM:  "An error was received from the ESX host while powering on VM" "22 (Invalid argument)" "Module DiskEarly power on failed."

pbraren Enthusiast
    VMware EmployeesvExpert

Here's what happens when trying to power up one of my VMs (see also attachments):

Error stack:

An error was received from the ESX host while powering on VM vzilla-ws2012r2e.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/51286ca4-ef967828-664d-001b2129ad71/vzilla-ws2012r2e/vzilla-ws2012r2e_3.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

22 (Invalid argument)

Module DiskEarly power on failed.

Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/51286ca4-ef967828-664d-001b2129ad71/vzilla-ws2012r2e/vzilla-ws2012r2e_4.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

22 (Invalid argument)

This circumstance may be related to a sata cabling issue, with possible momentary loss of connectivity, which could result in data loss/corruption, I realize.  This is a lab box.  Especially telling that the 2 VMDKs that it's complaining about (when trying to power on) are both on one physical drive enclosure. Data read and written to the enclosure since the problem arose is fine (indicating the cabling problem has been resolved, and that the VMFS5 filesystem seems to be healthy).

No snapshots.  No linked clones.  Just a Windows 2012 Server based VM, with several drive letters within, with those underlying VMDK files residing on different VMFS5 datastores.  Thin provisioned (those drives aren't actually that huge), but nowhere near running out of physical space for the data either. It's all been working great for months, until today, when trying to power it up again.

Searching for:

"error module disk early power on failed" results in this kb article:

error module disk early power on failed

which indicates .lck files might be present.  There aren't.

Next up, a variety of other articles:

Re: Unable to start VM : Invalid argument on *-flat.vmdk

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1004232

https://communities.vmware.com/message/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userID=&containerType=&container=&q=Module+DiskEar…

error module disk early power on failed

but alas, none of them seem to relate directly, or exactly.  My vmware.log file is attached below, as well as some screenshots to show the drive layout of this VM.  Hoping this post proves fruitful, if somebody has had a similar circumstance.  The data at stake here is (mostly) redundant, but I'd rather figure out my way out of this, in case it happens again to me, and/or can help others.  Much preferred over giving up, reformatting the VMFS, and starting again.

Thank you!