VMware Communities
mikal2424
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with setting up VM Player

Having problems using VM Player (ver 6.0.2 on Windows 8.1).

It isn't able to update as it can't seem to find the update server (given as https://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds ).  It also can't install the VM tools within the virtual machines because it can't find the update server.

Any ideas of what I may be doing wrong?

MB

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You can download the following files as needed for the target Guest OS, untar them and execute the resultant executables and it will silently install the VMware Tools ISO Images in the working directory of VMware Player.  You can then try installing VMware Tools normally or if need be you can always assign the target ISO Image to the VM's CD and then install from within the Guest OS

0 Kudos
mikal2424
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, but that doesn't solve my fundamental problem I seem to have with VM Player that it's not connecting to the update server to update VM Player itself, not just that it can't download the tools for the target OS.

There also is a problem with the network connection.  Within the target OS I'm not able to get out on the Internet.  I've tried a few things, and it just isn't working.  Suspect they are connected, but not sure the solution.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Player doesn't update itself - the only things it connects to the update server for are the Tools ISO images.

What guest OS? What is the network type and connection mode?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Those are the very files on the VMware Server that get downloaded into VMware Player when all is working properly and if you search you'll see that you're not the only one that has this issue and why as a workaround the direct download links have been provided.  You just have to do as suggest or go without VMware Tools, it's your choice! Smiley Wink

As to no connectivity from within the Guest OS that has nothing to do with the VMware Tools issue and a separate issue all together and not enough information given to troubleshoot.

0 Kudos