VMware Cloud Community
MFRibeiro
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Error Oracle Linux 6.5

I have a physical server with Oracle Linux 6.5 kernel 3.8.13 - 26.2.2.el6uek.x86_64 .

Upon P2V error occurs below 98% .

FAILED: An error occurred During the conversion : ' Failed to restore original lvm in initrd image : / usr / lib / vmware -converter / restoreLvmInInitrd.sh failed with return code : 1 , and message : * / mnt/p2v-src-root / dev has 3 files * user script returning code 0 * unmounting / mnt/p2v-src-root/dev / mnt/p2v-src-root/proc and / mnt/p2v-src-root/sys * Files to copy : / lib64/libudev.so.0 / lib64/libdl.so.2 / lib64/libdevmapper-event.so.1.02 / lib64/libdevmapper.so.1.02 / lib64/libreadline.so.6 / lib64/libc.so.6 / lib64/libselinux.so.1 / lib64/libsepol.so.1 / lib64/libtinfo.so.5 * Unpacking initrd image / mnt/p2v-src-root / / boot/initramfs-3.8.13-26.2.2.el6uek . x86_64.img 123119 blocks * Original Copying from lvm / mnt/p2v-src-root / / sbin / lvm lvm * Copying libraries : * / initrd_tmp / / lib64/libudev.so.0 already exists * / initrd_tmp / / lib64 / libdl.so.2 already exists * / initrd_tmp / / lib64/libdevmapper-event.so.1.02 already exists * / initrd_tmp / / lib64/libdevmapper.so.1.02 already exists * Copying / mnt/p2v-src-root / / lib64 / libreadline.so.6 to / initrd_tmp / / lib64/libreadline.so.6 * / initrd_tmp / / lib64/libc.so.6 already exists * / initrd_tmp / / lib64/libselinux.so.1 already exists * / initrd_tmp / / lib64/libsepol.so.1 already exists * / initrd_tmp / / lib64/libtinfo.so.5 already exists * Recreating initrd image to / initrd.img gzip : short write ERROR :

Unable to recreate initrd image '

Anyone ever had a similar problem ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

this is expected. Oracle Linux is not supported and has no reconfiguration specific code. At about 97% of conversion task begins the reconfiguration of the destination VM which is specific for each distro.

You will need to do that manually. Boot the VM with a live CD (preferable the installation one) and from there install GRUB and build the initrd image. Check also fstab file.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos
sapreaper
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is old, and I do not have a solution, but I have successfully P2V'd an OEL6.5 from OVM/XEN vm to VMware using converter 6. Yet another OEL 6.5 fails during tar. The product is just not that great. Why in the world would you create this "HELPER" vm with 512MB ram anyway? This seems to be 50% of the issues. And the answer on how to up the RAM is incomplete.

0 Kudos